New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austin and Halleck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy one of these in 50 cal. It has a beautiful stock with a stainless barrel and action. I don't know anything about black powder rifles, but I have been toying with the idea of one for months now. My question is, do these guns shoot as good as they look, and is 450 dollars to much for one of these? [Smile]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
is it new?.....and if it is sounds like a good buy to me. If the seller is a AH dealer ask him if it included the shot shell primer nipple and if not whether it is available. I have heard nothing but praise for A&H rifle accuracy. Retail on that piece must be over $700.
I've seen the blued barrel in select grade for $539.00. they have 4 wood grades. Standard, fancy, select, and an exibition grade.

[ 12-12-2002, 20:11: Message edited by: lofter ]

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bang,Here's the scoop.I purchased one this season.It has a stainless barrel and fancy stock.It IS AS ACCURATE AS THEY CLAIM!I'm shooting one inch groups at 100 yards with it.Mine likes 3 Pyrodex Pellets and 295gr. Black Belt Bullets.It is also very HEAVY.It has to be the heaviest rifle I own.Austin & Halleck's customer service leaves a little to be desired.You have to leave messages and they are very slow in returning calls.If I had to purchase one again I would go with the stainless synthetic model(The 320)The wood on mine has already taken a beating hauling it in and out of my treestand and hunting spots.Overall it is a very well built and accurate rifle but my Knight will do anything the Austin & Halleck will.Hope this helps.

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wood on this rifle is not scratched. The barrel is half octagon half round. The barrel doesn't have any scratchs on it, but it is not brand new. I am not sure what the shotgun primer thing is. It has a little nipple looking thing on it. The guy said that is where the cap goes. I really don't have much knowledge on black powder guns, but I have a neighbor that says he will help me. The gun itself is beautiful. I think that I will buy the gun anyway. It is such a nice looking rifle. Is the shotgun primer an extra piece so that I can use shotgun primers? I am sorry I just don't know enough about them. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. [Smile]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote