ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Information of powder charge please.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information of powder charge please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started black powder hunting several years ago with a Knight & Hale 50 cal. special from Walmart.
Don't ask me how or why, but I started using 240 Gr. bullets with 2, 50 Gr. Pyrodex powder pellets. I have no complaint about this set up, I have killed deer with it. I am wondering if it is safe to got to 150 Gr. of the Pyrodex simply to improve my range.
Advice please.

I'd rather be sorry for something I'd done, than for something that I didn't do.

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's safe, but I do know the ballistics of a 240 gr bullet aren't going to be much improved with 50 grns more powder. They just don't have the ballistic coefficient to be a decent longer range bullet.

So, it sorta matters how much more range you want to get. If it's safe.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might check the Hodgdon Powder website. I suspect they have the info there. They list loads for BP firearms, and offer loads for Pyrodex, if memory serves...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Check with the rifle maker to find out if 150 grain charges are approved for that rifle before you try that much. Also, be advised that 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets is a lighter charge than a measured 150 grains of loose Pyrodex RS.

I suspect that although 150 grains might flatten your trajectory some, it will MOST LIKELY (but of course, not necessarily) result in a larger group. So, if 100 grain shoots tight 100-yard groups for you, perhaps your best move is to learn the trajectory of your 100 grain loads out to 175-200 yards, practice range estimation, and continue using that amount......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knight & Hale 50 cal. special from Walmart.
Don't ask me how or why, but I started using 240 Gr. bullets with 2, 50 Gr. Pyrodex powder pellets. I have no complaint about this set up, I have killed deer with it. I am wondering if it is safe to got to 150 Gr. of the Pyrodex simply to improve my range.
Advice please.

No.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote