New
Find
Notify
Tools

strange black powder revolver??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
said to be cap and ball revolver colt style,,, when looked at ,,filli pietta,black powder only 44cal. barrel comes off like colt but cylinder removes and comes apart ammo loads into cylinder and gun reasembled.. looks as new unfired and 44 specials seem to fit ??? any one seen one, what is it???khh

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
It's a converted model ! Look them up on the net .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From your description it sounds like one of the reproductions of a Colt type percussion revolver made by Pietta. Also sounds like the revolver is equipt with an R&D conversion cylinder from your description.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The convertion cylinder is most likely chambered for 45 Colt. As 44 c&b pistols use .454 rb.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
finally figured that is what it must be..r&d cylinder on colt style frame,,, have tried cowboy loads and light 45lc all are to long for the cylinder,, gun feels good and is kind of neet, guess that I will take it to a gunsmith and find out what i really nees,[[[30 dollars a box for 45 cowboy loads,, and I have been griping that my supplier went up on the 45acps that he loads for me]]]] khh

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of New River Valley Outdoorsman
posted Hide Post
That conversion cylinder will work with standard "Cowboy" loads, if it's a Taylor or Karst. You can reload .45 Colt to these standards. use the Lyman #454190 bullet, and about 25 grains of Pyrodex P. The bullet will have to be seated deep enough to allow the cylinder to rotate, obviously. See my web site (www.nrvoutdoors.com) and read the article "How Good was Black powder" for more information on conversion cylinders and Pyrodex in this caliber.

"For that which befalleth the sons of Man befalleth also the beasts; even as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they all have one Breath, so that a man hath no preminence over a beast, for all is Vanity."

Ecclesiastes III:19

Posts: 8 | Location: Blacksburg Virginia | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
conversion cylinder

It is indeed chambered for 45 Colt.

The cylinder cost more than the Italian made gun!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some 45 Schofield brass I might trade/sell.

Rich
SASS Lifer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote