New
Find
Notify
Tools

1856 Sharps Carbine fouling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is an original carbine. How many rounds with black powder do you get with a percussion Sharps before it seizes up? I get around 5-7 shots. If I were a cavalry soldier I would need to wash out the action with my canteen before resuming fire. I'm using cig rolling paper cartridges with beeswax and olive oil lube. Bullet is a Sharps .54 cal rebated base copy .002 over groove. Chamber sleeve adjusted to paper thickness between breech block per original instructions.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is all I get, with reproductions.
I have not done any research on original tactics to determine how many shots they fired, but 7 shots in a period cavalry engagement would be a lot.
Remember the mission of cavalry; mounted, scouts, reconnaissance, eyes and ears of the commander, screen, security, raid; not to engage line infantry and slug out ground combat. Then, as now, that was not their mission.
They also had revolvers and sabres, unlike infantry.
Also, I am not sure their powder was not cleaner burning.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess then if I want more rounds I will have to switch to a BP substitute. I have done research into "brown powder". This was made from wheat straw charcoal browned and much less sulfur. 25% less powerful than black but much cleaner burning. Easy to increase charge to equal black. Maybe that is what they did?

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think they had better black powder than we do now, in many formulas and granulations. I believe the fouling was softer, not as hard as we now have.
Original cartridge packs say; "A superior quality of powder used". Whatever that means. Powder making in the 19th century was a big business. Whereas now we are lucky to have any, demand is so relatively low.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote