ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Savage ML-10 Sight Problem......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage ML-10 Sight Problem......
 Login/Join

<Ben H>
posted
Hi All:
I just received a Savage ML-10 and took it to the range to sight in prior to going deer hunting. I selected a 250 grain Hornady XTP, MMP sabot and 49.0 grains of XMP 5744. It shoots very well with this powder as well as IMR 4227. I fired about 20 rounds in 25 degree weather with no mis-fires.

However, I have the rear sight pushed up past the highest witness mark for elevation. It seems a shorter front sight may be in order to correct this problem if I stay with the Williams rear sight. I saw where N.E.C.G. is offering a fully adjustable peep that mounts to a weaver base. Seems like a good way to go.

Anybody else had this problem? What are your thoughts on how to sight this rifle? Is there any other data with other powders available somewhere?

Thanks in Advance,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that a particular bullet is suggested for that rifle to reach the full velocity. If you are interested in that you might as well get those bullets before you modify the gun.

Is a scope legal in Wyoming? That might be way out.

I read some reviews on that rifle that I found using www.boardreader.com

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Huntaholic>
posted
That load he is shooting is a GREAT one! it may not be "in the book" but apparently he has done some research to come up with this load because again, it is a great one! I never fired a shot with my savage using the iron sights. I took them off before doing anything else and mounted a Leupold 3x9. Is there a reason you dont want to use a scope?
I would probably shorten the front sight. Most peep sights I have seen are somewhat shorter than the traditional ramp buckhorn style.

<Ben H>
posted
Thanks for the reply, gents. We have no muzzleloading seasons at all in Wyoming. I'm going to the family ranch in Nebraska to hunt and they only allow a scope of 1x for muzzleloaders. I'd mount a leupold 3x9 in a heartbeat if it was legal.

Ben H

<Huntaholic>
posted
Ben H, check your email!

posted Hide Post
www.dream-tools.com/tools/messages.mv?index+savagemuzzleloader

Go to the website above and you can find out anything you want to know on these rifles. I have one as well and they are quite impressive, to say the least! If you want to make that thing really get near a centerfire, use a WunderWad over some Lil' Gun powder.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote