New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVA Electra
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a CVA Electra mainly because they were offering a $100 rebate on them. I bought a SS and black composite model and just shot it for the first time today. I used TC Maxi Hunters I had cast some years ago and about 60 Gr of Black Mag II. It worked perfectly but was shooting about 1 foot high at 50 yds. I can't wait to sight it in with sabots.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the ignition system battery powered?
Does it get cold where you live or hunt?

Batteries don't do well with freezing temperatures.
See how it works in very very cold first before you plan a hunt in the snow with it.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is powered with a nine volt battery. While it does get cold here I would say not extremly so. I would guess a really cold black powder hunting day would be 20 F or -6.5C.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parry-

For a 9v battery, that's cold.
Make sure you test drive that rifle in such conditions before you trust it for a hunt.
You *might* end up being OK with extra batteries kept in your (warm) pockets, then switching them out from time to time (if it won't run in the cold otherwise), but that'd be a recipe for a missed shot.

Find out!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a damned dangerous rifle. After you shoot it, when you reload, you are standing over a hot charge seating the bullet with nothing between you and an accidental discharge except a cheesy two dollar electrical switch. Think about it.

There is a reason they are giving a $100 rebate.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When that gun came out I thought this won't be around long. I wonder if CVA ever heard of the Remington Etrex before they brought this out and what ever happened to that wonderful Etrex. What a waste of money and marketing efforts on both counts. I prefer my firearms battery free. Rebates should make you run away far and fast. It means: soon to be discontinued because we can't give these damn things away.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue with remingtons Etrex was the cost of ammo and the lack of electric primers available for reloaders.

This uses a spark igniter built into the breach plug.

Sharpsguy, You're protected by two cheesy switches. A safety disconnect and a trigger. I take it you've never shot one or seen one but you're willing to denegrate it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite the contrary. I was the factory test shooter for Goex for thirteen years until early 2009. I had to test one of the things and decided very quickly that it was an accident waiting to happen. Knock yourself out, big boy.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote