Find
Notify
Tools

White G Series Whitetail Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Bought a White rifle about a year ago. Had a chip out of the stock at the tip and the guy sold it to me for $150.00. Finally got to shoot it.

My load was 80 grains of Pyrodex P with a 460 grain bullet of Doc White's design. Based upon a comment I read by Doc White, I put a thin over shot wad and a lubed felt wad between the powder and bullet. I shot 10 in a row and the first loaded as easily as the first. Appears to be zero leading.

Have a red dot sight on it with a 3" dot. Covered my entire target center. Off the stand that seems to be all I can hold. Shot at 70 yards, my deer range here, and they were good once I got windage and elevation dialed in. Might put a 1.5 power scope with cross hairs on it and see if I can tighten the group just for grins.

Looks like some of the White rifle hype was true.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I am kind of late to the White cult: I bought my first one in 2000. Having said that, I have now owned probably thirty or so, and still own close to a dozen. I will tell you unequivocally that there will never in my estimation be another ML designed for black or black substitute that will perform like the Whites.

They are just incredible, and the designs are simplicity personified. I think if you scope that rifle you will find that 2 MOA groups are the norm, rather than the exception. I have a .451 Super 91 that has shot three shot groups at 100 that you could cover with a quarter, and a friend owns an UltraMag I once owned; I have seen that one cut holes at 100 using Maxi-balls I cast myself.

Most of the guys I know that own Whites either cast their own or use bullets from either No Excuses or from a man named Dan who used to post on the cast bullets forum as Bullshop. (I feel certain he is still there if you chose to try to find him.) And I believe one can still purchase the original designed White projectiles from www.whiterifles.com, but I am not certain.
But I would caution you about one thing: although Doc recommended Pyrodex, I have seen several of his rifles where Pyro was the propellant of choice and it appeared the barrels had "fire cracked", if that is a proper term. The inside finish was rough and almost looked spider-webbed. I shoot Hodgdon T7 and have no trouble cleaning it up at all.

Enjoy your White. In my estimation you stole it.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll try some T7. Gotta figure out its measurement. Think it is a little less than Pyrodex from what I've read. Sure it will tell me.

You can't steal something that a man prices. LOL. No, I stole it! Great buy!

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pyrodex is the worse BP substitute ever invented; for several reasons, but it was the first so they didn't know any better. There are far better substitutes now; I use 777 when I don't use BP, which is not often. And I started using Pyrodex in 1976, as soon as I could get it. Didn't take long to abandon the stuff and go back to real black powder. I still have 3 pounds of it.
Here are the reasons it is not good; It is slow. It is hard to ignite. It is VERY corrosive. It will eat your brass up in short order. Which real black powder will not do.

Posts: 17128 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a pound of 777 this morning. Thank goodness for the local Walmart.

I am shooting 460 grain bullets, both White and No-Excuses. All seem to be good bullets. As I said above, I am using 80 grains of Pyrodex P. If I read the literature correctly, a 777 equivalent load would be about 70 grains as 777 is 10-15% hotter than Pyrodex.

Hodgdon has virtually nothing on their site about the granular powders in reference to load data. Can only says not to exceed 100 grains in a .50 for 300 grain bullets.

As I also shoot 600 grain bullets in the same rifle I guess the experimenting will begin.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave I shoot 100 grains vol. equiv. of T7 in my Whites. Don't worry about velocities; start low and work up to where you get the best grouping. You ARE using a volume thimble or similar, aren't you?

I have shot 100 grains behind a 600-grainer in a 6.2-lb. White Lightning. They shot wonderfully well, but recoil was invigorating, to say the least!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am measuring by volume. I don't worry about velocity in BP rifles, especially with the heavy bullets I shoot. At 70-100 yards even a few hundred fps makes no difference if I have consistency and accuracy.

Dave