Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Muzzle Loader on the Way
 Login/Join

posted
I ordered a new muzzle loader . It's a Savage Model 10MLBSS-II � with AccuTrigger. I had a Knight MK85 for about 10 or 11 years. I finally broke down after doing alot of research and ordered it.

For those of you that already have one, any load recommendations.

Posts: 22 | Location: NC | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a Savage ML message board...

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
str8,

I got a Savage 10 ML as pictured a couple of months ago. I like it so far. There are a few things about it that are not perfect but it's shooting much better than I could ever get my .54 Renegade to work. The accuracy is so so but the reliablity and power are 100%.

There are loads that come with the manual and at the Savage site. I have got decent results with AA 5744 and less so with IMR 4759.

The bullet that has got my eye is the 250 SST and they shoot into about 2 MOA so far for me. My velocities with 5744 ran from 2150 to 2250 fps with 46 to 54 grs of the stuff.

There is usually a decent discussion on these rifles at Hunt America.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would start out with a 250 gr SST,Shockwave,barnes,or hornady xtp(250 .452.)bullet and 42 to 43.5 grains of IMR 4759 or 42 to 44 grins of N110.Good luck with your new muzzleloader.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second ML-II. While I do get an occasional great group the AVERAGE is only "so-so" here as well. I'm still in the load development stage I guess. It may well prove to be the most accurate muzzleloader I have but it looks to be a time consuming task to get there.

As of now, I have several other muzzleloaders using 777 that will shoot the pants off of the ML-II.

Posts: 169 | Location: Athens, AL | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Have you tried your ML-II with 777 for accuracy?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Have you tried your ML-II with 777 for accuracy?"

No sir, I have not. IF I were to use 777/Pyrodex I'd have to clean the ML-II a litte better than I do with smokeless. The beech plug in particular doesn't lend itself to easy cleaning. It's carbon steel, not stainless and I have to wonder how long it will last using 777/Pyrodex. ALSO, the breech plug is really two pieces, plug and vent liner.

I just can't see be ever trying 777 in the ML-II...

Posts: 169 | Location: Athens, AL | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the savage muzzleloader boards you can get a lot of help there.Mike posted the addy in his post.
The powders I posted before give very good groups and if you don't go to high in grains they work very good in the hot weather.Shot this group the other day with both powders.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote