New
Find
Notify
Tools

what i did buy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
thank you to all who replyed to my question on which to buy.
went to local show,and found the only bp rifle there. was a t/c white mountain carbine.
out side wood and metal,are in excellent cond. but found some rust in barrel,when i
got it home. sell had covered over with lamp black or somthing.
but hack,for what shooting i'l do the price was great,and was able to keep,
all 4 first shots on paper,2ftx2ft, a 50yrds. my first 4 shots of bp shooting.
I know this rifle has been droped by t/c but can anyone tell me about it?
barrel twist--can i use sabots in it?--anyone shoot one of these?

thank you--capt.parker

Posts: 43 | Location: s/e ga. | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these.
My load has been a 385 gr Hornady great planes bullet with 90 grains of pyrodex. Accurate as can be within 50 yards. Outside of 50 yards, the sights are terrible. I hate the semi buckhorn rear with the huge front bead. It is a 1 in 48 twist. A nice lightweight handy rifle with a stout recoil with heavy loads. Haven't had a chance to take anything with it yet.

I'm thinking of switching to Hodgen 777 to make clean up easier, and putting a tang sight with firesight front on it. That would just about make it perfect.

I usually shoot conicals, not much experience shooting with round balls accuracy-wise.

Clement

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took my white mountain carbine out shooting this weekend. Loads of fun. I was using Pyrodex with a number of different projectiles, all with 90gr loads.

240 gr xtp sabot - didn't like them, couldn't pattern with them at all.

Remington mine ball - sold in the packs of 12 at wal-mart, didn't like this either, hardest of the four to load, shot low.

T/C Maxi Hunter - not bad, easy to load, shot a little low, not quite as accurate as it should be. These have a flat base, I don't think they engage the rifling as well as a hollow base projectile would.

Hornady Great Planes - 385 gr hollow base, hollow point. Easy to load, and very accurate out of my rifle. Printed about 6" higher than the T/C or the remington bullet out of my rifle. I have it set for dead on at 100 yards, and is about 3" high at 50.

I tried the patched round ball also, not for accuracy, just shooting. Not much difference in recoil, but it was moving noticeably faster than the conicals.

Lots of fun.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote