New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Man rendezvous
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FYI - I visted the Encampment Wyoming Mountain Man Rendezvous last week. We were fishing the N. Platt river downstream from Saratoga ( which is north of town-one of the few NA rivers that runs north) We went to the festival that was held at the Encampment city park/museum arround mid day. Tee pees, tents, axe and knife trowing.... any way there were about 50 folks shooting BP weapons at targets in 1840s gear.
Many women competed they really hunkered down on their weapons shooting off hand.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rondesvous are fun...no doubt...and I used to shoot at the one in Encampment back when we lived in Wyoming.

I would respectively submit that there are LOTS of rivers that flow north in the US. Any of them that hit the Missouri river from the south in the state of Missouri flow to the North. All those who hit the Ohio from the south from about Wheeling, West Virginia flow to the north. And that isn't counting the numberless tributaries that hit those. The same could be said of the Platte or Niobrara in Nebraska. Ultimately the North Platte ends up flowing east anyway, it just flows north for part of its journey.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I am Familiar with the Ohio flowing north from 812 Ohio river Blvd Pittsburgh , Being taught that rivers flow south in school I bet a fellow $10.00 that he was wrong first week in Pittsburgh April 1977 caused me to study before betting ! and cured me of thinking schools are always correct !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Cumberland River leaves KY and enters TN flowing south the leaves TN and enters KY flowing North.

Tennessee River sort of does the same sort of thing (different combo of states)

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Cumberland River leaves KY and enters TN flowing south the leaves TN and enters KY flowing North.

Tennessee River sort of does the same sort of thing (different combo of states)

Is it the "Red River that forms the border of Dakota and Minnesota . . . it is flowing north too I believe

SORRY,

I TOOK THIS FROM SUBJECT DRIFT AND WENT ALL THE WAY TO SUBJECT CHANGE

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that notorious little flooder, The Red River, is the border between Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota, IIRC, and it flows North to East Grand Forks, Minnesota on the Grand Forks, ND border still, where there is a Cabelas' store that is not the best one in the country. Wink

I never knew there was a North-South continental divide (rivers on the north side of it go to Hudson Bay, rivers on the south go to Gulf of Mexico),
until I got stuck in Fargo for a while.
Amazing what a guy can miss in school ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bridger one used to be one of the best, until Park Svc got involved. They stopped the shooting, then it turned into a costume contest.

Frog Holler, over in Oregon is about the "purest" one left these days. You have to hike about 12 miles in, or have a traditional materials (read wood or birch bark or skin) canoe to get there.

As far as rivers, all I know is that all the water goes to the ocean eventually.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I used to do rendezvous every year and have a lot of authentic clothes, weapons, and goods. Been a few years since I last attended one. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, National Matches start this weekend in Friendship Indiana and they have a primitive area and primitive shoots as well as the usual matches and non period dress area.
Rivers? one of the oldest in the world, the New River, flows north through southern West Virginia.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I also was a long term subscriber of Muzzleloader Magazine for many, many years. Loved the magazine, especially the articles by Mark Baker! tu2