ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Black powder, lead bullets and moly? Comments?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black powder, lead bullets and moly? Comments?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is not meant to be sacrilegious! Just wondering if anyone has experimented with black powder, lead bullets and molybdenum sulfide (moly) either coating the barrel or as a bullet lubricant. It seems to me that the properties that lend it well to increased velocity and reduced cleaning through coating the barrel in smokeless powder cartridges might prove applicable in black powder loads? This �revelation� occurred to me as I was sitting on my deer stand with my TC Pennsylvania Hunter and thinking about cleaning when I got home. Just looking for any thoughts or comments from the experienced.
Thanks
Paul

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try placing some B/P on a clean steel plate coated with moly and see what transpires. It could be an interesting experiment. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use moly with black powder. I tried it in a Swedish Mauser and it made a mess in the barrel that was almost impossible to clean out. There have been a lot of posts in BPCR about it and its effect. You are going to HAVE to clean your rifle no matter what or it will rust. No easy way out.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .451 Alexander Henry rifled muzzleloader that we've shot since 1994. I use the Lyman Moly lube as a bullet lube in the grooves. Clean up is a pain but I really enjoy the results. My son has used it to take 2 medals in international competetion as a junior.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote