New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conicals in a 60 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a company that makes conicals designed to shoot in slow twist barrels. Anyone have experience with them? PR Bullets

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but I know Hornady makes a conical for 1:66 or slower twists. Also, I personally use the Buffalo Ballet in my T/C Hawken 54. Shoots very well.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks, I'll go have a gander at the Hornady site.

Good shooting,
Ian

<GAHUNTER>
posted
I have a Traditions Hawken rifle with a 1:66" twist that very much likes the 300-grain CVA Buckslayer bullet. This is a very short, cast-lead bullet with a modified hollow base. Hunting accuracy with open sights is acceptable up to about 100 yards, which is better than the same gun with round ball.

<eldeguello>
posted
I saw their literature about a conical for slow-twist barrels. I contacted them for a recommendation for a bullet for a 1/66" twist .54. Their response was "use round balls, the 1/66 twist is too slow for any conical." Well, it isn't THAT much slower than a 1/60", and we KNOW that the .58's in the Civil War shot 530-grain Minies out of 1/72" twists, so PR's credibility went down the tubes right then and there, as far as I'm concerned!! [Frown]

BTW, I use the Lyman # 57730 flat-nose Minie in my Green River Rifle Works .577" 1/60" twist barrel, and it shoots just fine! This bullet weighs 570 grains. [Big Grin]

[ 10-12-2003, 19:23: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi eldeguello,
Have to agree 100% on what you say about conical bullets shooting in slow twist rifles. THEY WILL SHOOT!
I believe my 1861 Colt in .58 cal prefers a good long, heavy, bullet to Round Ball & Patch, Albeit she does that pretty well too.
I have read, and heard, many discussions regading the twist rate thing in Muzzle loaders. I don't think it is as "carved-in-stone" as many would have us think. 1:48 / 1:60 / 1:66 / 1:72 all seem to perform with excellent results using the right conical bullet.
I shoot a .50, .54, and a .58 all with different twist rates, and all with conical bullets. On the other side of the coin I also shoot PRB in all three rifles with very good results.
So, where is this "Twist rate preference", and how is it established? If I had a Long Range ML I would prefer, actualy insist, on having a .45 cal
(.451) with a 1:22 twist. But since I ain't shooting at 800 / 1,000 yds, and unless you are interested in this, (and many are interested) I don't see where all the disagreement comes in about twist rate in a Hunting Rifle.
Unfortunately, I have never learned to appreciate the in-lines and can't say about them, but I have been Muzzle Loading for over 30 years and can speak with some experience on these.
It is a matter of finding the right bullet / load for your gun.
Sorry I got long winded.
Respectfully, Russ

Posts: 65 | Location: Washington State, Columbia Basin | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that the Hornady "Pennsylvania" conical for 54 cal is 295gr... kind of a short stubby thing, so I bought a Lee 300gr R.E.A.L. conical mold to try in my Great Plains 60 twist. We shall see how it does.

Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250gr Lee REAL over a Wonder Wad out of my 1/66" 50cal CVA Frontier rifle holds 2" groups at 100yd off a bench, so I know they work.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my Browning's I shoot the "Ballet" with the 1-66" twist, they work great.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote