New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Encore 209x45
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents, I just recently purchased a TC Encore stainless synthetic in 209x45, and I have a few questions as this is my first black powder rifle. One, the instuction manual did not have any loads listed for the 209x45 (only the 50 caliber), so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to start off with? Two, what type of projectiles should I use? Bullets with a sabot, the TC powerbelts, lead conicals? Three, should I not fool around with loose powder and stick with the Pyrodex pellets? I purchased the rifle with the mind to use it next season as I don't think I will have time to practice and familiarize myself with it before the seasons end around where I live. Thus, I will have plenty of time to find an accurate load combination. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can offer is the advice that you do as I do whenever I have any questions as to any T/C product. There is a phone number for T/C in the included paper work you got with the gun. Use it and call them. Ask for technical services and anyone you speak to will be willing and capable of answering any questions you may have. These are truly great people to deal with.
Good luck

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you have better luck than I did finding an aceptable load for you're 209x45
I tried a lot of bullets and powder loads and haven't found anything yet that I think as aceptable,T/C sent me a box of 180 gr bullets to try but I couldn't even get them to goup well.
I bought a 209x50 barrel for it and put the 45 barrel back in the closet.The 50 shoots very tight groups.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only found 1 load that will shoot in mine. 2" @ 100 yds. 90 gr. Pyrodex Select & 180 gr QT.
http://www.prbullet.com/index.htm

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same trouble with my 209x45 and was about ready to give up. A friend sent me some White PowerStar 350 grain saboted bullets and YEEHAW!! They shoot great.

The sabot is very unique in that it has two lube grooves around the base. I put a dab of bore butter in each but am not sure that was necessary. On top of 80 grains of FFg Triple7, they produce superb accuracy.

They are available from splitfireguns.com and definitely worth trying.

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote