New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 45-70 load
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
I have loaded up some .45/70 ammo using the Lyman .457122HP (Gould) bullet cast of pure lead. Mine weight 349 grains. One load uses 65 grains of T7 FFg with a Wonderwad over the powder. This is a slightly compressed load. Another load uses 65 grains of Swiss FFg with the same bullet and wad combination, also compressed. I have also loaded up the same bullet with 44 grains of IMR 4064 and two Wonderwads over the powder. Have not shot any of these yet. I am hoping these three loads will all produce velocities between 1200 and 1300 FPS, perhaps slightly more, with hunting accuracy and no leading. This is the velocity level I expect from looking at Hodgdon's T7 load data for the .45/70. If they do, I plan on using the best one as a short-range deer load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello,

I think your velocity expectations are probably ballpark okay, but if your twist is at all fast like 18" or maybe even if it's 20" twist, such a short light bullet may not be very accurate.

Don't worry about speed. Worry about accuracy. 2" or better @100 yds for 5 shots would be my minimum expectation. Whatever velocity you get will be enough.

BTW, the ballistics of that light slug are so bad that a heavier, most ballistically happy bullet might actually fly flatter though slower to 200 yds or so. I'd have to run numbers to be sure.

Whatever speed you get with that load, it will be enough. The accuracy may not.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote