New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BP Subsitute
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
" the smell reminded me of the Black Canyon powder that was popular about eight years ago then dissappered." < !--color-->

Black Canyon was a precursor (not exactly the same) to Clean Shot, which is now American Pioneer powder. I have never used the American Pioneer, but have used the Clean Shot. Clean Shot is good, but very susceptible to moisture damage. More so than Pyrodex!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot BP for over 20 years and have never used a subsitute. I am running out of places to get real BP, so I might have to switch. What about the new ones out there like Clear Shot, 777, etc? Any of these have that beloved sulfer smell? I still will use the real stuff until I cant get it no more.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.grafs.com/index.cfm
You can allways order it from the above link they have real black by the case or can's

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I don't know, Pyrodex comes close in the smell department. I'm still not sure if good ol' Pyro P isn't my favorite sub. Haven't tried Clean Shot but have tried the Clear - it sucks if you live in a humid area. T7 is potent and gives good consistency but also comes with its own set of problems.

For a sampling of subs, I would buy a can of Pyro P or RS and a can of FFg T7 loose. T7 has an acrid, acidic odor in the smoke that dang near chokes me if it blows back on me. Doesn't last long but it gets my attention.

I agree Pyrodex stinks, but it seems to me to be a different stink than real BP!!