Find
Notify
Tools

Double muzzle loader
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Anyone wants to part with double muzzleloader?
Calibers. 45/50/54/58

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a lower grade, reseller marked .58-caliber Pedersoli Kodiak. Now I own a higher grade .73-caliber Pedersoli Kodiak Safari. If your query pertains to wanting a muzzleloading double rifle, please let me know. Having owned and futzed with them for years, I can probably bore you to tears with unasked for information. . . . I'm also in Montana.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1500 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have owned both a Kodiak 58 and a CVA .50 which I re=built. Kodiak is a much better rifle. Lodgewood has a .54 in stock for a good price, last time I was there. They sell ML parts.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller, don't overlook that big Pedersoli in .72. I have had a couple of those and a couple of the Kodiaks in .58. They are a lot of fun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pedersolli 58 I would sell but won't be able to send pics or the gun if interested until a week from tomorrow as I am Leaving town.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with member CowboyCS. He builds them.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Pedersoli Kodiak in 50 cal. for a few years. My problem with it was I expected to be able to make it shoot like a double. That is, both barrels shooting to one rear sight same as my other double rifles rather than the two rear sight system Pedersoli installed. I was never able to achieve "normal" double rifle regulation with it and it wasn't from a lack of trying! Goodness, over two years I ran lot of different loads down those barrels looking for the one that would regulate. Each barrel shot good groups individually but I never could bring them together. Since I sold it I have learned that the newer and bigger bores seem to be regulated better.

I would recommend the bigger bores in the Pedersoli. The 50 cal. I had was like a pair of deuce and a half truck axels soldered or brazed together, very heavy. Way too heavy for a 50 cal. double rifle.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 50 is too small; 54 is still a hog, 58 is good for balance. No, they aren't regulated; which is why they have two sights. I owned one of the first Kodiaks from the 1970s. Great rifle; should have kept it; I would have regulated it the right way. Didn't know how back then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dp, I had a gentleman offer to properly regulate the double for me but at the weight of that thing I simply didn't want to bother. I never weighed it but I bet my Reilley 500 BPE was at least 3 pounds lighter, maybe more. I wish I knew how to regulate the barrels. The only way I know is with loads and while I've always been successful in "proper" doubles I never got close with the Pedersoli. I was loathe to use the two sight system of the Pedersoli's......just ain't fittin'.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, I was looking at double rifles 1/2 hour ago and noticed a few. A couple guys were nuts on their prices and one or two were in line.

That jig and the process of regulating the barrels is something I would love to observe. The jig seems pretty self explanatory. Evidently you can also do that with barrels already fitted together?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, fixture is the proper term. That CVA came out good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting in a left-handed way that the two Kodiaks of the three I've owned, the .58-caliber lower grade and Safari high grade shot to nearly acceptable cones of impact for me with conicals used - before regulation. And the Safari .72-caliber had significant flexibility during its regulation - that is, it shoots acceptably to 80 yards (the farthest I've fired it) with a propellant range of 40 grains Goex FFg.

But wait; there's more! After regulating it, three shooters find the regulated cone of impact to be essentially identical (a left-handed 69 inches, 135 pounds; a rightie 72 inches, 220 pounds; and a leftie, 75 inches, 185 pounds).

The only reasonable explanations for our vast differences in the ease of regulation are:

1. Perhaps Pedersoli has made significant changes in their barrels' assembly. The older .58-caliber is now about 10 years old. The Kodiak Safari is now about 7 years old.

2. I have shot, and continue to shoot, only conicals. Conicals accompanied the .58-caliber, so I have no idea whether they are off-the-shelf or custom cast. I may still have a couple of them. The Safari uses a custom 775-grain bullet of specific lead:tin mix, with specific cap, powder, and lubricant.

Would any changes among components create regulation problems identified in some replies? Considering the range of acceptable propellant amount, I suspect problems would be manageable within two sessions. I typed "two sessions" because I have not shot my Kodiak Safari more than 16 times at any session.

Hope something in this mishmash is useful.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1500 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, changing any component will affect regulation; Except when it doesn't, as in your 72.
Each one is unique; that is double rifles for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the new issue of Muzzleloader Magazine. They have a nice picture of an O/U available in flint or percussion. Up to 12 gauge, iirc. About $2700, but with nice wood, and built to your specs.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
O/Us aren't real double rifles.
Only side by sides are.
PS: O/U lovers, no hate mail; I get enough now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about David Price's swivel breech flint doubles...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding over/under fixed barrel sidelock muzzloading percussion double guns, their essential problem area is reliable ignition - that is, one of the barrels (usually the bottom barrel) has inherently less reliable ignition because its flash channel is restricted by its position relative to nipple location. I am uncertain whether this problem is a problem with flintlock ignition.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have seen the O/U swivel flinters; still ugly. Reliability would not be an issue in the flintlock; they are inherently more reliable than those cap locks anyway, and in the swivel breech you have the same flash channel for both barrels. But the barrels need to be side by side to look right.