New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patch material question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used to use pillow ticking and probably still will, but I have it on good advise that old worn out soft levis (dinum) might be the best yet??Any body use this?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen them used with decent results.
If the thickness matches your bore and ball there should be no problem.

I'd refrain from using them in dry woods though since I've often seen them come out still smoldering after they hit the ground.

The type of lube used may have some effect on that.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old denim is too thick. It is hard to load and not as accurate as pillow ticking. BTDT.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Cotton/linens are great. The important part is matching the thickness to the ball and bore. Too thin or to thick and accuracy suffers.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use denim for patches in my 50cal flint.
.490 RB, Colerain bbl and a square denim patch.
I use denim from worn out jeans.
I cut strips of equal width using one of those free wooden paint stirrer sticks as a pattern. Simple razor knife cut so they might be off some what.
Then cut the individual patches from each strip by eyeballing equal squares from the strip.
Sounds crude, but it works great.

When loading don't skimp on the patch lube. I use half&half T/C bore Butter & crisco melted together. Gives it a better consistency in warm weather.

Center the ball on the patch and use a short starter,,then a long starter to get things going.
The ball and patch seats effortlessly after that with the ramrod. Shoots cleanly, I don't wipe out the bore betw shots.
Will shoot 3 shots touching w/a simple 65gr load of FFG.

Patches are even retrievable out in front of the line and I've reused them for another shot. Still soft w/lube, I add a bit of extra and reload. No burn through or tears in the cloth.
Best accuracy and cleanest loading for a patch I've found.
Of course each rifle has it's own way of doing things and you have to experiment to find that,,what works for one may not for another.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill give it a try for sure, Ihave a lot of worn out jeans for sure..I also have a lot of pillow ticking, this stuff is getting fun, confusing but fun..Ill be up to snuff in no time at all.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote