New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 280 & 223 Handi Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 4 of the NEF Handi rifles and love them. Go over to www.graybeardsoutdoors.com There is a forum there for the NEF single shot and the guys there know these rifles well. More than a few are shooting the 223 heavy barrel. A good place for info on these rifles.

Posts: 409 | Location: Mentone. Alabama | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a NEF Ultra Varmint rifle (heavy barrel)in .223 about a month back. I've found it to be very accurate, regularily producing 3/4" groups at 100 yards with reloads. Some of the groups have been under 1/2" for five shots.
The one thing I did notice was that right after the rifle is cleaned (bore solvent/oiled), it throws the first shot 8" high. The next three proceed to drop incrementally 2"s until it reaches the sight in point of impact. I've taken to just running a dry bore snake through the barrel to remove the powder residue. This does not seem to effect the P.O.I. I did try the "O" ring trick between the forend piece and the barrel. The jury is still out as to whether or not it really makes a big difference. In my estimation, it seems to help somewhat, so I left it in. Here again, the Point of Impact changes between removing the "O" ring, and leaving it in.
I have not had any problems with the empties ejecting. The trigger pulled at 4Lbs right out of the box. So for $240 I am very satisfied.

Posts: 15 | Location: Berks County, PA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a 223 NEF Handi last fall. I do handload using 55gr bullets on top of BenchMark powder. I am very impressed with the accuracy of this firearm. The local coyotes are not happy with me and my NEF......

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend is considering one of these. The 223 w/bull barrel. What are your experiences? thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote