THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Need help on caliber for new single shot custom
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on caliber for new single shot custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What caliber would you select for a nice custom on a Hagn action?

Caveat - like to keep it between .222 Rem and .308 Win.

Will be used for deer, antelope, fun shooting....

What would you build?

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
You can never go wrong with a 7x57.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts AI

275 Rigby AI

6.5x55

264 WM

6.5x284

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
You can never go wrong with a 7x57R.

There, fixed that...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a falling block rifle in 7x57R. the 22" medium-weight barrel with the concentrated weight makes for a wonderfully-balanced, fast pointing hunting rifle, and the recoil is quite mild. Mine is set up as a relatively short-range rifle with a fairly fast twist rate for heavier bullets and a 2-7 Leupold with a flip-up ghost-ring peep in the quarter-rib. It is a nearly-ideal walking-and stalking rifle in our relatively dense "bushveld" conditions, but is probably needlessly powerful for most deer at short range.

The Hagn has the advantage of probably the strongest rimless extractor of all the falling blocks though, so you can confidently chamber it for anything, and I suggest that it makes sense to go for the rimless version of the cartridge, just because cases are so much easier to find.

So if your hunting is in dense cover, I think anything from 6x45 to 7x57 would be great (depending on what else you already have) and for longer-range stuff, a 7.57 with a slightly faster twist rate or a .270 would be great. Sentimentality aside, there is nothing wrong with the newer calibers either.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the great ideas! Please, add to your comments. I have learned to take advise from the experienced person.
Ross

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

There, fixed that...

R R R, he larfed. lol

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you reload? If not the answer to that question should narrow your choices considerably. Lots of great options offered but the reality of todays world is availability of some of the choices proffered really is limited. I would (through personal preference) limit my choices to a cartridge that has a military heritage of at least the 20th century. That way brass availability is reasonable and your heirs will likely be able to enjoy your good taste in firearms.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3, a .22Hornet, .243 Win and .303 British. All are a lot of fun to shoot. Going to take the .303 to South Africa and shoot an open sight kudu tu2

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.62x51R!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

On that action a 6.5x55 or 7x57 would be sweet. Something modern like a Creedmore would seem sacrilegious.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
We are aligned. I have a 7x57, no experience with the Swede, but not “skierd” to try something new.
Thanks

If you were to go small caliber - .222, .223, .243 ???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you already have a 7x57 and want to re-load, why not look at one of the older military 6.5 or even 6mm chamberings?

6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Portuguese (Verguero), or even 6mm Lee Navy?
Any of those would be pretty unique yet entirely usable?

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
When you mentioned both antelope and deer, without specifying what type of deer, I immediately thought of 25-06.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are considering the 7x57R, a gunshop near me has quite a few boxes of Norma 7x57R brass that have been on the shelves for years. I think they would ship it to you. I have a Ruger #1A in 7x57 that is my favorite deer rifle. Dale

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

One of my favorite rifles is a 6mm/244 Remington built on a small frame

Webley 02 action. Ammo isn't the easiest to get. I also have a Soroka

falling block in 30-06. Both work great so having a rimmed cartridge

isn't mandatory? I think a 6.5 Creedmore might fit the bill nicely?

Good luck on your build & keep us posted on the progress.

Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id go with the 250-3000. Maby a 25/30/40 Krag or rimmed 7x57, even a 250-3000 IMP,

Do you prefer a rimmed round I kinda lean that way sorta maybe ?????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
You can never go wrong with a 7x57.

Big "thumbs up"

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7X57R or 307Win.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option would be a 7x65R.

I have a buddy who has a double in this and it intrigues me.

I have a spare #1 action I am contemplating building one on.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6.5 x 444 Marlin wildcat known as a 6.5 Bellm #2. This is loaded using 260 Remington dies. the tough 444 brass last a long time and has a sturdy rim so my gloved hands has no problem loading/unloading the rifle. The cartridge is excellent for the proposed application and with light bullets it is also an excellent varmit rifle.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If rimmed the 6.5x57R or 7x65R are great choices. Otherwise, .257 Roberts, 6.5x55, .270, or .280 Remington.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Some of the fellows have mentioned 6.5s.
I wonder if one of the very earliest smokeless rounds to become popular among African hunters -- the 6.5 X 53 Mannlicher (.256 Mannlicher in Britain) would fit the small Hagn action.
It would be the equivalent of a four-weight fly rod and would reward a gentleman's finesse.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned two rifles on Hagn actions. I bought the barreled actions from Herr Hagn and had them built. My 223 was too small on a mini action so I sold it. I then purchased a medium barreled action in .30/06. Martin prefers them to be built in rimless cartridges. My rifle is being engraved now and will be stocked and finished this year. I hope to produce a 7.5 pound finished rifle.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Falling Block actions are my personal favorite.

What is your idea of "Fun" shooting..?
Low recoil..?
Casting your own bullets...?
Black Powder...?
Sub Sonic Loads...?

Average hunting distance... for dear...?
Antelope..?

quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
What caliber would you select for a nice custom on a Hagn action?

Caveat - like to keep it between .222 Rem and .308 Win.

Will be used for deer, antelope, fun shooting....

What would you build?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat--here in Texas a .222 or .223 would fill the bill. If you go to Colorado for example the deer are tougher or at least they read the internet so you would need at least a .243.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Ross,
It has been a few months, what caliber did you decide on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you asked -
.223 Rem and 7x57 in Hagn single shot actions, put together by Matt Roberts.
Waiting on the actions now.
Will be a matched set.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great combination of calibers!

If possible, keep us updated (build photos,...)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hagn is a .30/06

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Light rifle
7x57r

Medium rifle
9.3x74r

Heavy rifle
450 Nitro 3.25”

Rimmed cartridges all the way for a single or double

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have three single shot centerfire rifles 7x57, 270 Win and 30/40 Krag.

I think that the 270 is the best of the three for an all around deer/antelpe gun.

I feel that the 264 Win mag and 6.5-284 don't fit the single shot idea that well. Nothing against the two cartridges, my 6.5-284 has killed my biggest deer and antelope to date.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 270 WCF in a Ruger no,1 still id rather have the same in a 250-3000, the worlds most wonderful caliber!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3030 just saying!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I agree with domit and like the idea of a 30-30. It is a more versatile caliber now than it has ever been thanks to the proliferation of bullets designed to expand at .300 Blackout speeds. My favorites include the Barnes Tac-Tx 110 and 120 grain bullets and the Hornady 110 grain CX (formerly GMX). With the added speed of the 30-30, these expand quickly and form a massive mushroom -- and don't perform like the typical hard mono since these were meant for speeds much lower than the 30-30 produces. They also retain virtually all of their weight.

In short, they are wicked on game and have served me exceptionally well. With these bullets, the 30-30 is easily a 300 yard medium game cartridge. At that range, the aforementioned bullets will still open to nearly .60 caliber on soft tissue and will be packing around or over 1000 ft./lbs of energy.

Recoil is minimal, and it's a cartridge that's just plain fun to shoot.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobby and domit on the 30-30 in a Spitzer bullet for a single shot. My grandson used one ( H&R Handy Rifle) in Africa several years ago with CEB bullets for PG. It worked fine.

I have a TC Encore in 7x57 AI that is fun to shoot but I have not hunted with it yet. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One that is never mentioned is the 25/35. I had small size Falling Block Works action and found listed a new Montana Barrel Works 25 caliber barrel that was half octagon/tapered round. It finished out to 28" and was very light. At that time, LeverEvolution powder was new and I tried it. With the new powder, high quality spitzer bullets and the 28" barrel, ballistics were shocking. It was comparable to a 257 Roberts and seemed to be ideally fit for a single shot rifle. I often have thought about having it modified to an improved version but never have done it. Loads would be much different and it seems so balanced in its use that I have never done it.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sidelever Ruger, .30-40 Krag in Namibia.

6.5x55 Small Hagn action, Martini barrel

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I don't know if dogcat finds it helpful to simply list the single shot chamberings we have, but it is fun. So I will too. All my single shot rifles are Ruger No. 1 guns. Currently I have a first year 6mm Remington 1B, Lipseys run 28" bbl 6.5mm Creedmoor (a great caliber, for all the haters here), 7x57 RSI, 30-06 1A, 300 H&H 1S, 450/400 1H, and 458 Win Mag 1H Liberty Year (with a storied ownership history). I've also owned No. 1 rifles in 223, 243, 250/3000, 25-06, 270, 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. My favorites are the 7x57, 300 H&H and 450/400. I like the classic calibers in a classic rifle like the No. 1.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always considered putting together a 25-35 Win, but thats just me, not for most folks...Its a caliber I grew up with, shot a lot of game with and and would go well with my 94s..Might go with a 25-35 IMP ) 25-30-30 IMP same..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120