New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Rumor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw on another forum where rumor has it Ruger will bring out the No.1 Tropical (H) in 9.3x74R in 2006. Anyone else heard about this?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I saw that and a new No 1 AB in 204 Ruger. It’s hard to say but I’m not going to call the guy a liar yet, it may be true.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now if they only put a 26 in barrel on it we'll all set... Good hunting!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If they out a 26" bbl. on it I would buy one.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is in the H model, I'd bet it has 24", though we won't know for sure until Ruger announces it.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd waited long enough a couple of years ago and had one rebarreled. 9.3x74r, octagonal 26" barrel. Kept the ramp and put a NECG sight on.
The #1 and the 9.3x74 were meant for each other.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I'm the one who posted it on the big bores forum. I have the catalogue right here, it will only be available in the 1-h model. I absolutely can't wait to buy one.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Oh, and yes the barrel will be 24".

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I saw that and a new No 1 AB in 204 Ruger. It’s hard to say but I’m not going to call the guy a liar yet, it may be true.

Sure like to see that AB back-nice configuration!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Yup, the .204 ruger will be available in the AB configuration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the 9.3x74R in No.1H 24"bbl and a No.1AB in .204 ruger 22"bbl. are listed in Brand New 2006 Ruger Catalog I just layed my hands on today.

Now availiblity might be another thing, just passing on the catalog info.

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd waited long enough a couple of years ago and had one rebarreled. 9.3x74r, octagonal 26" barrel. Kept the ramp and put a NECG sight on.
The #1 and the 9.3x74 were meant for each other.

Have you any photos you could share?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaack! Thppt! What's up with the stubby 24 inch tube? And why the beefy Tropical pattern? The classic single-shot is not a carbine, it is supposed to be a rifle! A 9.3x74R wants to be a 26 or 28 inch Medium Sporter, and in 300 H&H and 405 Winchester while they're not at it. If the boys in marketing drank black coffee instead of decaf skim lattes they'd know this...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/dian1/93x74r.jpg
Here's my 9.3x74. Weighs about 8 3/4 pounds fitted with scope.
Also included picture of 6.5x55.
Don't know what happened but the only picture is the 9.3 even though it is described as 6.5.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No photo found.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you click on the middle part of the identifier it comes up with the picture. If you click on the 6.5x55 section there is no picture.
This was first attempt--learning.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Right from the get go, this is a dumb question. Why is the 9.3x74R
So exciting to some people?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe we can also talk Lyman into reintroducing their 366408 mold to support those of us who like to shoot cast bullets Smiler I plan to email them....
Jeff Pfeifer

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I admit to getting so excited, too, that I bought a 9.3x74 barrel for my Blaser B95...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is the 9.3x74r exciting to some people? Several reasons I can think of.
There is a certain amount of nostalgia about a medium bore rimmed cartridge in a single shot or double rifle. It is easy to handle and load, is available and has reasonable ballistics. Rimmed works better in most single/double rifles. Not a factor with a Ruger but the #1 happens to be, for the price, about the best option.
Starts conversations.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
My previous post was just a question. I’m not familiar with the round or it’s history. I (and others) would be interest in reading more historical information about it.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

]Maybe one of the reasons is this...it is about as close as you can get to a classic old .375 H&H Flanged Magnum these days. And ammo, though not on every shelf, is fairly easy to find. No doubt if Ruger sells more than just a few of the rifles, Hornady will also start making ammo for it, and Graf's will distribute it, which will make it even easier to find fodder for.

Generally, it is a .366" diameter bore, loaded with circa 285 gr. bullets, at moderate velocities. That results in a cartridge where
penetration is adequate because of decent sectional density, yet it will still have enough velocity to expand proper bullets rather well. Plus, with the modrate speed, you don't need super-premium bullets to keep them from shedding their jackets once into the animal.

Lastly, it is not a heavy kicker, again because pressures and velocities are moderate.

So, all the way around it is a really nice medium bore chambering, adequately covering from deer to moose, stopping to deal with bears, pigs, and large cats enroute, and ending up maybe in Afrika too...doing a fairly decent job on even the largest of plains animals if well placed.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck,

Thank you for the enlightenment.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looking at a reloading program the 9.3X74 looks very close ballisticly to the 9.3X62. Is this true?

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Looking at a reloading program the 9.3X74 looks very close ballisticly to the 9.3X62. Is this true?

Thanks,
Terry

Yes, they have nearly identical prestanda. Cf. http://www.norma.cc

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Loaded to high pressure in a strong rifle like the #1, what is this caliber capable of in terms of MV?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they're making a NO.2 in 9.3x74R, why the hell wouldn't they make a 77 in 9.3x62? Now all they have to do is screw a 9.3 blank on their .30-06 action, and its done.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
dian1,
I can't get it to open either, even following your directions. Try again?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My error with the photobucket. Also cleared pictures off my system and someone deleted pictures off camera. I will try to take more and get them on. Sorry. Slow learner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people have a soft spot for some old calibre. I would like to see a Ruger # 1 or a # 3 in a 35 Winchester. I think it would make a very useful rifle for a lot of NA hunting.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ran the single shot rifle program at Ruger:
1. Octagon and half-octagon barrels in appropriate calibres.
Like the basic 3.25" 40/45/50 cases. 26-28" barrels in all calibres, you can make them shorter, but I lost my
barrel stretcher a year ago. I miss it.
2. A Schuetzen model, Laudensack pattern stock with hooked buttplate and palmrest.
3. Add most of the obsolete African classic calibres.
4. Offer a single-set trigger option.
5. Add a tuner screw to the forend to tune loads with.

But, that's just me, and what do I know?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ran the single shot rifle program at Ruger, the VERY first thing I would do is get rid of the forend screw that torques the barrel and jacks with accuracy.

There are a bunch of riflemakers that use a piece of square stock soldered to the underside of the barrel and a screw to attach the forend. Accuracy is vastly improved...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the call for long, octagon barrels

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most recent word around town is they have scrapped the 1-H idea and went with a 1-S. I'll be curious to see what actually hits dealers shelves, but suspect it will be late summer or later before they actually make it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad-

I heard the same rumor so maybe it's true they changed their minds and are going with the sporter weight. We can only hope!

Posts: 49 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the 1-S in .35 Win too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that NO 9,3's will be produced until Ruger has requests for 500 of that caliber; my local dealer called his distributor, and that's what he was told.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote