Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cimarron 1885 Hi-wall in .38-55
 Login/Join

posted
I would love to own an 1885 Hi-wall in .38-55. If I buy a rifle from Cimarron, is it the same as buying from Uberti? My assumption is that Uberti makes good Hi-walls and if they make the rifles for Cimarron, I'd be in good shape buying one. What does everyone think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uberti makes them for Cimarron. The only issue is the 1:16" twist they are using. The best commercial bullet mould I have used in my 38's is the 335gr Lyman. I am not sure it will stabilize in that slow a twist. The double-set trigger, pistol gripped model is a fine rifle, excepting the crescent buttplate. Ouch!!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't be too much of an "ouch" in a .38-55.

I have heard - perhaps misremembered - that Uberti .38s are true .38s unlike today's more common .375 .38. Is this true?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

not if he is trying to reach 375 Win velocity levels. BP loads are nice to the shoulder.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IS,
I was refering to bore/groove diameter. I dimly remember hearing that the Ubertis are 0.38 or better in the grooves. If so, it can make bullets problematic....

If you think bp loads are soft, I have a few for you to try in my 10# gun.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, then you try a few of my BP loads in my Shiloh 38-90...guaranteed to sit you up straight. 370gr bullet at 1588fps...case full of Swiss 1 1/2.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem Sounds reasonable.
Smiler
Brent

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cimarron lists the rifling specifications for both Uberti and Pedersoli on their site.
I don't know accurate the site is. Perhaps Uberti has it on their site also.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought new a Uberti clone of an 1885 Win falling block in 30-30 a few years back.
I plan on converting it to 25-35, scoping it, and firing hot loads.

I have a gunshow friend, I call "Larry the lawyer", that bought one some time ago. He hated it. He says it has a lousy chamber and a lousy sight.

I don't plan on using the sight OR the chamber.

Years later, I still have not rebarrelled or shot the Uberti.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
www.ubertireplicas.com lists many products that do not show up on the Uberti USA website. I don't know if they are waiting to see how the other products sell in the States before offering more or what. You can, however, get any product listed on ubertireplicas.com from Cimarron, here in Texas. There may very well be a good reason for it, but this supply chain doesn't make sense to me. I know Uberti makes rifles for Cimarron, but are Cimarron's rifles different than those sold through Uberti USA, or does Cimarron simply import Ubertis just like Uberti USA? I'd like to have a Hi-wall in .38-55 that I can load black powder cartridges for and use to hunt whitetails. Do you think I should buy a Cimarron Hi-wall in .38-55 now, wait and see if Uberti USA will offer one soon, or horrify my beautiful bride and buy a Ballard for $2500?(I'm 23 and just got married in January 07)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Europeans like to setup exclusive relationship based supply chains that people can't go around to get better pricing. Sort of a form of price fixing.
I live within driving distance of Cimarron but they do not seem interested in dealing directly.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
I think the Europeans like to setup exclusive relationship based supply chains that people can't go around to get better pricing. Sort of a form of price fixing.
I live within driving distance of Cimarron but they do not seem interested in dealing directly.

Go to their retail locatiion, "Texas Jack's", in Fredericksburg.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Uberti/Cimarron specs

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote