New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore in 7.5x55 Swiss
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For some reason I always wanted a hunting rifle in 7.5x55. Steyr once imported sporting rifles so chambered but they were a bit out of my league. Several months ago I saw that Graf & Sons had an exclusive run of 24" Fox Ridge custom Encore barrels in 7.5x55. I've always regarded the Encore as homely as a mud fence but did admire their handling qualities and was drawn to the startling array of custom barrels offered for it. So without even owning an Encore frame to put it on I ordered the barrel and 3 boxes of the special run Hornady 7.5 factory loads. It took me a few months to get a frame but finally ordered a blued frame with synthetic stocks. Never content, I also ordered a laminated stock and forearm from Fox Ridge. I topped it off with one of the Bushnell Elite 3x9x40s with the Firefly reticle in Leupold dual dovetail mounts. It makes a nice looking package, as far as Encores go {I still think they're ugly}. I haven't done any serious accuracy testing yet but so far it seems promising. The Hornady load pushes a 165 gr BTSP @ an advertised 2730 fps placing it between the mundane .308 and the boring '06. My next Encore barrel will be in .32/40 Win. I lost a T/C TCR with a .32/40 barrel in a burglary in 2000 and have a sh*t-load of ammo, brass, bullets and the dies for it. After that, I'm thinking about maybe a 6.5/284. Then maybe a varmint barrel in .222 Rem. Mag. Then maybe a rifled 20 ga slug barrel in case I get invited to NY to hunt. This could well become addicting....

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a 7.5 Swiss fan you should pick up one of the K31 military rifles, they are around at prices from $90-250 depending on condition and a lot of them have minty bores even though the outside is all battered up. Workmanship on these rifles which were made up to the 1950s is outstanding.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a TCR '87 in .32-40 and haven't yet found a good load for it. Based on your previous T/C in that chambering, what would you recommend for it?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Accurate 2015BR powder with good results. I'll have to try to find my old load notes. I had a bunch of the "Duke" factory loads that I pulled the bullets on and juiced them up with 2015 to pretty impressive velocities {2300 fps range}. I also used the same loads with the Hornady 170 gr FP. Sadly, I never got to point the gun at a deer before it was stolen but as soon as I get an Encore barrel I hope to correct that.