THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Help IDing J.P. Sauer & Sohn Bolt Action Many Photos

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help IDing J.P. Sauer & Sohn Bolt Action Many Photos
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings,

I work part time at the local gunshop and one of my customer's brought in one of his late fathers rifle's for me to identify. I didn't get very far Frowner A photo's worht a thousand words so here's some photos:

Bolt Action, Single Shot, Octagonal Barrel, Set Trigger with a tortoise shell grip, cheek piece, barrel wedge. I have no idea of the model, vintage or caliber. I would like to learn what it is and what the chambering is. I cast the chamber with cerrosafe and posed it next to a spent .45 Colt shell.

Here's how she measures out:

Rim Diameter: 13.10mm / .516"
Base Diameter: 12.15mm / .478"
Neck Diameter: 12.05mm / .474"
Case Length: 40.80mm / 1.606"
Bore is around 11mm / .433"

I'm not very good with a micrometer so there probably are some measurement errors. If more photos would help I'd be happy to take them. The rifle appears to be sound but seems to be missing its extractor. I'd like to try and ID the chambering and rifle for the gentleman. If this isn't the proper place to post this please advise me where I might find some help.
Thanks in advance,
Doug

Posts: 5 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's a Dreyse. R M & M maybe. 10.4x42mm

Page 225 Rifles of the World.1993

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I just "Googled" 10.4X42 and came up with this photo of a necked cartridge. I don't think that's it unless of course the photo is incorrect.

Also, I forgot to mention that the rifle is a centerfire. I'm not sure what spin that puts on things.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've already got the makers name, Suhl Germany.

IF you or he are NRA members you can send these pictures to them in care of the: "I have this old Gun" and get the details.

IF you're not NRA members, shame on you!!

Sure would like to own that one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
You've already got the makers name, Suhl Germany.

IF you or he are NRA members you can send these pictures to them in care of the: "I have this old Gun" and get the details.

IF you're not NRA members, shame on you!!

Sure would like to own that one.

George

Sauer is, of course, still in business. Perhaps they could furnish info. It is also possible that there may be some markings on the breech end of the barrel on the bottom under the stock.

Looks like it was a prett nice rifle at one time.

I would like to see better pictures of the action and bolt.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
It is also possible that there may be some markings on the breech end of the barrel on the bottom under the stock.

Looks like it was a prett nice rifle at one time.

I would like to see better pictures of the action and bolt.......

No Markings found elsewhere when I had it out of the stock. I have a couple of photos of the bolt but it's the best I can do until I get off work.

I cross posted this on another forum and they think that the caliber may be 11.15X48R LK.

Comparing the bolt to the gras that richj linked to I'd say that's very close if not "it"