Find
Notify
Tools

rebore, and rechamber No1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Anyone here know if a chamber for 30-06 will be cleaned out when re-chambering, and reboreing to 9.3X74R, without haveing to back the barrel up a thread or two? I would like to retain the Q-rib,barrel swivel, and front sight of the origenal barrel, while converting to 9.3X74R. [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Talk to David Yale, at SMT, Inc, in Yellow Jacket , CO about this. He can tell you if it can be done. 970-562-4225. One of the problems with 'cleaning out' an old chamber is that the reamer pilot is not supported for much of the process and it's easy to slip off line an end up with a crooked chamber. It can certainly be done, for that is exactly what P O Ackley did, it's just not without some risk. IMHO.

<JBelk>
posted
MacD37--

No it won't. There'll be a ring part way down the case body.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the old days a tired 30-06 would be bored out to 35 Whelen, would that interest you ?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
In the old days a tired 30-06 would be bored out to 35 Whelen, would that interest you ?

No, I have a 35 WLN, what I want is a 9.3X74R chambered in a Ruger No1 for a scoped rifle to go with a Merkel mod 140E S/S double rifle I have that is chambered for 9.3X74R. I have several double rifles, and they are matched with a No1s in the same chambering. I just bought the Merkel, and now I'm looking for a No1 that I can re-bore, and re-chamber to 9.3X74R, and retain the Q-rib, Barrel swivel, and front sight of the origenal barrel.

I guess I'll simply have to re-barrel, and fit the parts on the new barrel, more expensive, however! [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,not a smith but wouldn't a No-1 in 308 Winchester be the better route? Its a short chamber.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Mac,not a smith but wouldn't a No-1 in 308 Winchester be the better route? Its a short chamber.

Dave after I posted the last time, I took a loaded 9.3X74R cartridge and stood it beside several cartridges and measured the shoulder area of the other case first then took the caliper with the 9.3 between the jaws, and measured the other case. The 9.3X74R is a very narrow case, and will not clean out the old chamber in the 06, 270, 243, 308, so I will either back the barrel up, or simply re-barrel. I only live a few miles from Shelin (SPL) barrel makers, so will pay them a visit! I can't find anything that is chambered in a No1 that will not leave a ring in the chamber without backing the barrel up several threads! This would involve cutting a new extractor groove, and retimeing the barrel so the Q-rib will be on top! I have several No1s in small chamberings, but they are all in No1 V bull barrels, and do not have Q-rib, or iron sights! [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand alittle beter now,not so much lenght but width, To bad you can't find one of the bull bbl.223's or 222's ruger built.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand alittle beter now,not so much lenght but width, To bad you can't find one of the bull bbl.223's or 222's ruger built.

Dave, I have some of the No1 V bull barrel rifle that would work, but what it want is the Ruger Quarter rib, barrel mounted sling swivel, and iron sights,and the Alex Henery stock, as well as scope capability. most of the No1s that will work, are collector items as well. I think the only thing I can do is have an Alex Henery stocked version rebarreled, and install the Q-rib, barrel swivel, and iron sights from the old barrel on the new one. This isn't a simple thing to do, and is expensive work. Most of the other No1s, I have, that have been re-bored, and rechambered to Nitro Express rounds have been bored out 458 Win Mag No1 H tropical rifles, or 45-70 No1s!

I have a No1-V chambered for 7mm Rem Mag, that I'm thinking about punching out to 470NE, then mounting express sights! [Confused]

Ah, well! I'll do it one way or another, I guess! [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I follow what your saying Mac,I just bought a Ruger-1 that has ben converted to 450 nitro 3 1/4"
Hopeing to have as much fun with it as my 45-120 sharpes

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just bought a Ruger-1 that has ben converted to 450 nitro 3 1/4"

Dave, I have a Ruger No1 H 458 Win mag that is unfired, and I'm sending it to MacKool's in Tulsa to be rechambered to 450 NE #2 , and add a silvers recoil pad! This rifle will be, as are some others, a partner for a double rifle so chambered! [Cool]

Who did the re,chambering of your No1? [Confused]

[ 11-24-2002, 21:34: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,not sure was told by the judge that it was done there in GA.by a smith that is into single shots,haven't recieved it yet but am loading up on info and supplies,Hopeing to be able to use 45 basic brass,as i have about 400 rounds on hand that i have been turning into 45-120 Sharpes,have read a little on the 450#2,and wouldn't mind adding one to the collection [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Macd37:

what I did was to buy a Merkel k-1 in 9.3X74R to go with my 150E Merkel double 9.3X74R. Not a light kicker however. But I can see if you already have the ruger #1 thing going....

jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Just get a #1S 218 Bee.The 9.3x74R will clean up that chamber for certain-if it won't,I'll eat my hat!

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,not sure was told by the judge that it was done there in GA.by a smith that is into single shots,haven't recieved it yet but am loading up on info and supplies,Hopeing to be able to use 45 basic brass,as i have about 400 rounds on hand that i have been turning into 45-120 Sharpes,have read a little on the 450#2,and wouldn't mind adding one to the collection [Wink]

Dave, I'm sorry to say, the 45 basic will not work for a 450NE 3.25" [Frown]

You will have to buy 450 NE brass which is quite a bit larger in diameter than the 45 basic. It also has a thinner rim. I have a 458 RCBS also which I make from 45 basic, which is nothing but a very long 45-70 the brass being 2.75" long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,thanks for the bit of info,I quess I'll go to
superior ammo,thay have a load for the black powder version,so will start there and work up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 Tell me about your 450 No2, who made it etc.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
MacD37 Tell me about your 450 No2, who made it etc.

NE 450 No2 , I don't have a 450NE No2 right now, the Ruger will be the first of the pair. The double will come later! I did have a couple of the 450#2s over the years,and like a fool I traded them for something else that was easier load for, a fact I'm very sorry for. At the time I owned these two rifles (early 60s)the componants were very scarce, and I went to a 450NE 3.25" instead! [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 I think that Champlins has a 450 No2 Jeffery in stock now.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider the gunsmith Reggie Nonneman. His website is
http://www.leveractions.com/ruger_no_1.htm

His work that I have seen has been good quality. His website says "Refinishing the original action, chambering and installing the new barrel with the finish of your choice, refitting and bedding the forend to the new barrel and remounting the original or custom sights, scope ring bases, quarter rib, sling swivel mounts, etc are the main procedures composing a complete barrel conversion". Price is $450 for custom grade, $575 for match grade and $750 for octagon including a custom qtr. rib.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Kenai Capt>
posted
Mac,
I just got my #1 and Pedersoli double back from MacKool's re-chambered for 450#2. They did a fine job. I got the lead on them from Perry.
The recoil on the #1 went up significantly from the 458.
Thanks for the research on the 9.3 #1 as that pair was my next target.