Find
Notify
Tools

H&R single shot .35 Whelen?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
I just picked up the RMEF edition and was very happy with my new $200 rifle until a friend who works in a sporting goods store told me that the actions loosen up. I really like this little rifle but this worries me. It's in very good condition. Looks to me like it has been shot very little. Does anyone have any experience with this happening?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
over40,I have one but its been shot very little so far only about 500 rounds so far.Its stil tight and locks up fine, but I have stayed with the middle of the road reloads and factory stuff.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
over40, I have a 30-30 that we hunt with but have also used it for training young shooters on our home riflerange. It probably has over 3000 rounds through it. The wife, kids and myself, shoot really pumped up loads but probably not much over 40,000 CUP. Hope this gives you some perception on the rifle. I think the barrel would wear out before the hinge and steel receiver would become loose.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I feel better about my purchase now! Can't wait to start reloadin for it. Should make another fine elk rifle.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
After 6-7000 mid-level and below loads my NEF 45-70 is starting to loosen up a bit,still can`t close it over a piece of 24lb printing paper but it is noticeable.I`ve never fired any load over the marlin type in it and most have been lighter cast bullet loads in the upper trapdoor ranges.this is not a problem so far as this gun will outshoot me any day of the week,I`ve had one cast load shoot 3rds in the .2" range for another shooter with my leopold scope attached(I can`t hold for better than .75" with same combo)too bad my NEF in .223 won`t shoot as well.I think you will have a good rifle there and hope you enjoy it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
BigBelly: What sort of accuracy are you getting with your .223 that you are unhappy with? I keep being tempted to try one of these guys in this caliber. I hvae had them in .45-70 and 17 HMR, and currently have a Buff Classic being fitted with the .38-55 barrel. Seems that some calibers may be more accurate than others in these rifles.

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Did I understand correctly that the RMEF Handi-Rifle for 2003 (or 2002) is chambered in .35 Whelen? Are any more out there at distributors? What I'd really like is one of the old Whitetails Unlimited .45/70's in the Handi-Rifle. Anyone know where one is? Or the .35 Whelen as second choice?

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BIGBELLY,
Try scribing a mark on the hinge pin, drive it out with a brass punch, rotate 90 degrees, reinstall and ta-da! Tight again.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
judgeg,
No it was made in 1996, sorry!

I got ta feelin bad cause my son-in-law didn't have a huntin rifle an i got so many i gave it to him fer X-Mas. Boy, did his eyes light up! And it made me feel pretty good too. I gave the other son-in-law a new burris 3x9 fullfield so he was smilin too!

<whisler>
posted
Did someone say 35 whelan for NEF....is that in the 22 or 24 inch barrel???

Santa brought me a .223 bull barrel. First trip to the range started out with 3 inch groups using WW 45 grain. Went back today after putting an "O" ring between forearm and barrel, groups shrank to 2". Insured that barrel was not touching and support was at the mounting screw or behind it, groups shrank again.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
whisler, it has a 26 inch barrel.