Find
Notify
Tools

No. 1 and scope mounting.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I´m about to get my first Ruger No 1.
It´s a used rifle in 270 Win., and it will be used mostly for hunting roe and red deer from high seats over grass fields and pastures ut to 250 m / 280 yds.
This kind of hunting is mostly done at dusk and dawn as well as night when a good moon is up and shining.

I have a S&B 8x56 scope ( 1 " tube ) wich I plan to put on the rifle.

My question is the way a scope mounts on a No1.
It looks like the mounting rail will fix the scope in a more forward position than on a bolt action ?
Will this result in "stock crawling" and an awkward shooting position ?

The gun is at the gun shop right now, and I will bring my scope to them and get it mounted in a couple of days.

Can you experts shed some light on this issue ??

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might have to order a set of extension rings from Ruger. That should fix the problem.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i doubt that you'll have a problem. yes the scope does mount more forward compared to a magazine rifle, but the action is so short that it has to, and you do need some room for loading/unloading. I think I've got about 6 or 8 #1's at the moment and none of them needed anything special for scope mounting at all.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 1 in 7x57.
Initially, I used a Leupold 1-4 VX2 in Leupold low mounts.
This combo worked well for standing shots but for sitting or bench shooting, it could have been a little further aft.

The combo I finally settled on was Ruger extended rings and a Nikon 2-7 Monarch.
This works well for me .
Ruger rings are heavy , overbuilt and I had to lapp mine , but they are very stabile.
For the setup to work for me, the eye piece needs to be almost back to the safety.

There are a lot of I's and me's in the previous statement as the proper position for the scope on a No 1 is very much dependent on your individual dimensions.

I'm 6'1" 210 lbs with fairly short arms and neck and have old man's disease (farsighted).

Most folks find that they need the scope back as far as they can get it.

With heavy kickers, all bets are off, but I have no experience in that area.
I would ASSume that as much clearance as possible is good. Smiler

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have modified a Weaver base #58 for the rear and used a high Weaver base fitted to the front.

This will move the scope 0ne inch further back.
Using Burris rings with excentric bushinge will reduce the total weight of the rifle by nearly a pound.

The rifle is a #3 with a #1 stock and a modified under leaver.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZERMEL - DIDN'T THE #3 HAVE A QUARTER RIB ON THEM ?

maybe leaving it off was another of rugers great ideas .

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tomo577
There was no 1/4 rib on the #3 when I bought the rifle used it onle had a rear iron sight which is still there.

On my 25-06 I have the same mounting system but the #1 did have a 1/4 rib which I removed.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks guys.
I guess I have a talk with the gunsmith when I pick up the rifle. The extention rings might be the right way to go...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
It´s a used rifle in 270 Win., and it will be used mostly for hunting roe and red deer from high seats over grass fields and pastures ut to 250 m / 280 yds.
This kind of hunting is mostly done at dusk and dawn as well as night when a good moon is up and shining.

It looks like the mounting rail will fix the scope in a more forward position than on a bolt action ?

The gun is at the gun shop right now, and I will bring my scope to them and get it mounted in a couple of days.

Whether or not you will need extension rings depends on the eye relief of your scope. I would suspect, however, that you will need them. Most 8X56's I've seen had pretty short eye relief..... I use them on one of my No. 1's, but not on most. However, I have always been sort of a "stock crawler".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
ZERMEL - DIDN'T THE #3 HAVE A QUARTER RIB ON THEM ?

maybe leaving it off was another of rugers great ideas .

No.3's didn't have the rib - just the No. 1's.

No. 3's are drilled and tapped for scope blocks which accept the same RINGS as are used on No. 1's..... 1V's also have the blocks and not the rib.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Arild,

I’m not going to “stroke†you. You may have a problem with “stock crawlâ€. The No 1’s rib moves the scope forward.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Nikon Omega 3x9x40, it has a 5" eye relief, the only reason I bought the Omega is to use on my Ruger No. 1's.

Try it, it works.

Marcos "elalto"

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my Ruger No 1 back from the smith, and this is the way it all turned out.
Two extension rings and there we were, all set up. Will try to post a picture.
This rifle is a real shooter with Fedral Fusion 150 gr, and I really look forward to try out different bullets and handloads.

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Smaller scope with one extension ring:

Wallpaper, but maybe this shows it better:

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:

I had to go to extension rings (ruger) on mine with a leupold 2-7X VXIII. I could use it with stock rings but had to creep forward and it was tough in out of position shots from the tree stand.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used an older Burris 2X7 on mine. The tube length behind the turret is much longer than a Leupold.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The old Burris scopes were great for No 1s.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
That Burris 4x compact is pretty sweet too!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote