New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made Encore Barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at the barrel and locking mechanism of my Encore the other day and it seemed to be a very simple design. A block with two machined slots, welded to the bottom of the barrel with three holes located for retaining pins and frame alignment.

My questions are:

1. Has any one ever tried to make a Contender/Encore barrel by welding one of these blocks to a blank?

2. Does anyone sell these blocks?

3. Has anyone tried to make one of these blocks? (the design looks pretty simple)

It seems like this process would be much easier than threading and chambering a barrel for a bolt gun. (This should only require owning a welder Vs. owning a lathe)

When reading these forums there are a number of people who have taken a shot at making their own barrels for bolt guns. How about it single shot forum? Any experiences to share?

[ 11-25-2002, 18:02: Message edited by: J.W. Blute ]

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest posting this over on the single shot pistol forum. There are several gunsmiths who make contender and encore barrels over there.

The real key to the job, as I understand it, is the welding of the block to the barrel shank.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I have always felt that we are grossly overcharged for Contender and Encore barrels. Midsouth has a 20 guage shotgun barrel for $233, about the same price that I would pay for a Rem. 870. If the quality were there, it may be justified. However if you believe Mike Bellm, and I usually do, then the quality is lacking on TC's part anyway.
Anymore I buy custom, and only buy factory barrels when I get a huge deal.

<J�rgen>
posted
I`m with the block welding party ! It has to be laserwelded to the barrel and if you mig weld it , I guess it has to be heat treated afterwards , but I`m no metallurgist , so I might be wrong ! Ask Mike Bellm , he knows for sure !

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The blocks are tig welded. It really is not as difficult to weld the block as it would be to locate it properly.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote