New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cal. No. 1 ??
 Login/Join

<QUARTERBORE>
posted
O.K. guys I need your help. After wanting one for years I decided to get a Ruger No.1 Now keep in mind I allready own every cal. I will ever need ( plus a few I will never need ) for the type of hunting I do. My thoughts are possibly haveing it converted to a .243 WSSM That way it could do double duty for whitetail and coyotes Would a barrel change be all I would have to have done ? Do any of you know a good smith that will do a good job on a No. 1. Also what version do you think is best ( it will wear a scope ) I would apreciate any help you could give me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
QUARTERBORE A 243 wssm? a 243? And you call yourself QUARTERBORE? If you do not buy a 257 Roberts, or a 25-06 you ain't got a hair.....
I did have a No1 A in 243WCF that was really nice, shot good too...but my Handle was not QUARTERBORE. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Welcome to the forum.
PS Would Clay Harvey shoot a 243?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.243 diameter is an excellent choice. You need to take a close look at the range of bullet weights and styles. They are wide and varied in .243 but a narrower range in .25 bore.

I have a #3 in 7-08 and have had a #1 in .25-06. I have #1's in .375H&H and .458WM and a #3 in .375Win.

The 7-08 is the most accurate rifle I've owned. (Big heavy barrel onto which the action is attached.)

Have fun.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Lewis, Carolina Precision Rifles, Jackson S.C.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a 243 fan I have two I thank a 243wssm would be a cool round.I have a 300wsm and love it.but like you I have from a 222cal.to 300WYB.mag what ever your choice good luck.GOOD HUNTING

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cisco Kid
posted Hide Post
QUARTERBORE,

I have just what you need.

It is a #1 in quarterbore of course, a 25.06. Was manufactured in 1975 (per a chart I saw).

Been shot less than 250 times. Doesn't have the Douglas barrel, but has a Wilson tube so I have been told.

It is in about 98% condition according to a smith and 2 dealers that I know.

If you or anyone have an interest in it, please let me know. Need to turn it into cash to get custom encore and contender barrels. Thanx

Posts: 573 | Location: S Ms | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cisco Kid I have a friend that has been thanking abount geting #1 in 25-06 for varminte huntig. What are you asking for your gun.And dose it have a heavy barrel.GOOD LUCK HUNTING.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cisco Kid
posted Hide Post
SHORTMAG,

It is the 1-B. Has no sights with factory rings.

Barrel measures approx .612 at muzzle. Is not heavy barrel.

Would like to get $535 shipped to the FFL.

Thanx

Posts: 573 | Location: S Ms | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quarterbore.

I would be curious about the gunsmithing involved in the 243 wsm conversion of a Ruger #1, if only because Ruger has not yet introduced any #1s in short mag calibers. They are on offer in the Mod 77 MKIIs, why not the #1s? Any ideas on this out there?

Just for the hell of it you might also want to look into the .243 AI. It ought to be a real stepper out of a 26 inch #1 barrel. wunbe

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Just gonna get one?? Get a 1A in 7X57mm.....

posted Hide Post
I know this is off subject, or at least on a tangent, but I was looking at a Ruger catalog the other day and I had the feeling that if I had the money to order a new No. 1, that it would be chambered for the 270 Weatherby. I like things off the wall a little I guess, but it would be a very interesting long range death ray!

<QUARTERBORE>
posted
N E 450 No2, I did give some thought to a 25-06 No.1 but I allready have 4 of them ( plus a 257 bob and two webbys ) all in turnbolt. So if I go with the WSSM does that mean I have to change the moniker to "slightly less than QUARTERBORE" anyway thanks for the post !! P.S. who the heck is Clay Harvey ???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cisco Kid Thanks and I will tell him abount the #1 you have thanks.SHORTMAG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QUARTERBORE:
O.K. guys I need your help. After wanting one for years I decided to get a Ruger No.1 Now keep in mind I allready own every cal. I will ever need ( plus a few I will never need ) for the type of hunting I do.

You think you have every cartridge you will ever need? Well, given the above, I bet you don't have a .25-25 Stevens or a 28-30 Stevens. Both rather cool and unusual cartridges. Pretty little buggers too.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking that I need a No 1 in the S configuration chambered for the .35 Whelen or better yet, the 9.3x74R. I think that someone on these forums is going to chamber one for the Keith .338/9.3x74R. I always thought that was a cool cartridge as I have some admiration for the man behind it.

Whatever you do, whichever you choose, I'm betting that you'll enjoy it.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quarterbore,

Perhaps you have handled some #1's and have a preferance for the style of the Alex Henry or the standard version? Then comes the barrel length decision that affects the character and balance of the rifle. What barrel length do you favor?

I would just buy one and shoot it as is and learn what you want from that.

If you do get rebarreling one for say a WSSM then I would have the trigger done by a smith who is familar with #1's and have the hammer and spring improved also. Free floating the barrel is another option that I suggest.

While my suggestions seem general it seems that you have almost everything now so that you should just clarify what you like about the #1.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Aside from perhaps better accuracy, I see no real advantage to these new shorties other than their adaptation to shorter actions, hence, lighter handier, rifles. I would not want one in a Ruger No 1. single shot, which will use as big a case as you want with no length or weight penalty!! [Big Grin]

<DWLshooter>
posted
Quaterbore,
I am also interested in the new .243WSSM. I might hold of in the decision to go with that particular round for a while though. This may sound pesimistic, but I would let the cartridge prove itself before comiting. Also, pay attention to the twist rate of the barrel if you wish to shoot hevier bullets for deer.
On a personal note, the #1 v is a good dual purpose rig if you mind giving up some of the good handleing characteristics of the #1. I own one in .25-06 that I use for yotes and deer. It is one hevy mother.

Good luck, and remember you never should say I have all the calibers I need.
DWLSHOOTER

one of us
posted Hide Post
DWLSHOOTER Better yet dont let your wife her you say I have all the calibers I need or you just might have all the calibers you need.I have never seen a man that had all the calibers he needed.the more the better.GOOD HUNTING!!!

<QUARTERBORE>
posted
SAVAGE99 Did I miss something here. How the heck do you free float the barrel on a No.1 ?? Over the past few years I have handled a few but never got the chance to shoot one. It's hard to explain but I'm sure you know the feeling, they just feel right. I believe all that I have had in hand were 1B versions with 24 or 26 inch tubes.

<Savage 99>
posted
There is a "hanger" attached to the receiver that extends out under the barrel. The forend is attached to this with a screw. You just whittle a plastic faucet washer to fit between them and tighten up the screw. Easy as that.

No question, for woods use you want the 22" barrel. Get a 30/06. It's the most historic cartridge of them all. The most popular.

The get another #1 with a longer barrel for something else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a #1 in 218 Bee. It's just about as much fun as a man should be allowed to have (well, almost). And it's accurate on top of all that!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<QUARTERBORE>
posted
Thanks for all the posts guys. I made up my mind what I want. I still think I want the .243WSSM, but I'm going to get it in a turnbolt. But it will have to wait, because this morning I ordered a NO.1 B in 25-06 (should be here in about a week ) Anybody got a good load worked up?? I'll let you know how it shoots. Anyway THANKS

<DWLshooter>
posted
Quarterbore,
Glad to see you went to the .25-06. Since you asked, I have a load that shoots pretty well. 120grn Sierra Game King boat tail, 49.0grns of IMR 4350 with Winchester brass and CCI BR-2 primers. It has shot out of my stock No 1-V a 3 a 3 shot center to center group of .373" @ 100yrds.
Good luck,
DWLSHOOTER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger#1 with a 26" barrel is the length of a bolt rifle with a 22" barrel, that is the beauty of these rifles. Don't go with a 22" and lose that advantage. You can have your cake and eat it too. There are a lot of good choices in the #1. Hard to beat any of them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my #1B .25-06 likes 100grain Ballistic tips seated way out long just off the lands. Charge is 56.0 IMR4831 with a federal LR primer. (work up to this load using caution)

It shoots into 5/8" with this load and it literally unravels groundhogs. [Big Grin] As was stated previously it is a 26" barreled rifle that is OAL shorter than my 22" barreled Rem 700BDL.

I hope you like yours as much as I've liked mine.
I've had it 16+ years.

Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote