New
Find
Notify
Tools

#1 RSI vs Sporter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering if those hwo have both would be able to chime in. It seems that a Ruger #1 is NOT a benchrest rifle - no problem. With a little bit of work they tend to shoot pretty decent (Hicks accurizer).

Now would it be fair to say that the RSI (full length stock) #1's are more difficult to get shooting decent over the sporter? Seems to me that full length wood might cause issues?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Logic would tell me, as it does you, that it should be easier to get the Sporter to shoot well.

However, my actual experience has been the exact opposite. My RSI is one of the best shooting factory rifles I have ever had, and over the last 70 years I've had several hundred guns (not just Rugers, of course).

I think it is pretty much luck of the draw with either one. So, I'd just get the one which appeals to me the most visually and "fit"-wise.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've had both. The RSI shot well out of the box but like all of the other full length stocks I've had they just don't maintain zero very well.
I can say that the RSI did hold zero better than the full length bolt action rifles i've had.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote