THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Bought a Mossberg SSi One in '06 today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Mossberg SSi One in '06 today
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Why? Because it had a pretty piece of wood and I wanted to try one out. Besides, I'm taking my three teenage boys to Africa later this year and my PH insisted that they have something on hand bigger than the .270s they normally shoot. My .300s are a little stout (having given two of them nasty eye cuts), and my other two .30-06s not very accurate.

My first impressions are that the break action is a little tight, probably because it's new, and the trigger needs work (don't they all?). I don't yet know if it is adjustable. But the gun is very well balanced, pretty and comes easily to shoulder.

I've loaded up a bunch of 180-grain Nosler Partitions and 180-grain Speer Grand Slams using H 4350 and IMR 4831. I'm going to the range later this weekend. I'll report the results.

Anybody else seen one of these rifles yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
i haven't seen any outside of magazine articles, but i am a bit curious as to both its accuracy and its trigger pull. I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life about these when they first came out, and it was not exactly complimentary. I believe the gist was the SSi had an atrosious trigger pull and the accuracy of a shotgun pattern.

I'm not one to bet my bottom dollar on what's written in a magazine, so your experience would be appreciated.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote