THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Barrel mounted ladder sight for Sharps????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel mounted ladder sight for Sharps????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a ladder type rear barrel sight for my newly acquired Sharps 45-70.

What have folks used with success. It needs to be rugged as it will be coming in and out of a scabbard.

My maximum range will be 500 yds, but usually under 300yds.

What say you?

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Shiloh and get their standard full buckhorn rear barrel sight. That is what I use, and yes, it will reach 500 yards and then some.

What kind of rifle do you have, and is your barrel cut for the rear sight dovetail and drilled and tapped for the sight screw?

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pedersoli Benchrest model. The barrels is drilled and taped and also has the rear sight dovetail.

The Shiloh sight mounts in the DT correct?

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Shiloh sight.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I'm not sure why I want to go to all the trouble!

I just got back from the range.....RL7 under a 420g Ranch Dog Gas Check bullet with Lee tumble lube shot this ten shot group at 100 yards........using the crappy "Buck Horn" sights that the rifle now wears...

That one low shot was a clean, oily barrel......the group itself is 9 shots off a sandbag rest!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Shilohs, and I have Pedersolis. Some Pedersoli barrel sights are pretty rough, and some are actually nicely done. They all work, and if I had a Pedersoli with a barrel ladder sight, I wouldn't change it out. Even the rough ones shoot very well when you learn to use them, as you are finding out.