Find
Notify
Tools

Martini & Hagn Single Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
I just got back from the Reno gun guild show and visited with Ralf Martini. He is Martin Hagn's partner in Canada. He is the metalsmith/machinist while Martin does most of the stockwork, although both are masters at either. They are now offering 3 sizes of their falling block actions as well as complete rifles and continue to supply Hartmann & Weiss. Anyone looking for the ultimate in a single shot falling block should look no further. I continue to believe Ruger offers the best value but these actions are stunning. Steven Dodd Hughes has written a comprehensive article in the current issue of The Accurate Rifle on this action as well as a nice background on Martin and Ralf.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Martini & Hagn, Gunmakers
1264 Jimsmith Lake Road
Cranbrook, B.C.
V1C 6V6
Canada
(250) 417-2926
martini&hagn@telus.net

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they have a web site?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
No website. Check out the latest issue of The Accurate Rifle for a good review by Stephen Dodd Hughes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How much for the action or the rifle? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$2500 US for the action. And worth every penny. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan for the info. Man I wish they had a website with info. $2500 for the action is not bad, especially if it is big and strong enough for the 600 NE.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They do have an email address and a phone Mingo. Very nice people to deal with. Give them a call/email - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
They have a brochure and price list they can send you. The miniature action (22Hornet- 223, etc.) is $2400, the medium action (30-06 - 375) is $2500, the magnum (375-700) is $2900. Complete rifles start at $8500. I know that's a lot of dough but these rifles compare with the very finest made anywhere. I don't think you can buy comparable quality for any less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
Actually, Martin sold the rights to the action to Hartman and Weiss a few years ago. That was when they had only one size so I don't know if it applied to all 3 of them now. They do have a direct link with them and get them in good numbers. I got an email from Rolf about a year ago and they had a real good price if they could get a big shipment.

I will look and see if I have any photos of them I can post.

Rolf is an amazing machinist and a very likeable guy. Last year he had a few barreled actions and they all had swamped barrels on them. His workmanship is stunning.

[ 02-20-2003, 05:20: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox

What is a "swamped" barrel?

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Chic- Do you think they would offer a quantity discount to a few AR folks? You could probably count me in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uwave,a swamped barrel has a curve to it instead of being a straight taper. The only way to do it is with a CNC machine or with aa special tracing attachment. When you see a swamped barrel next to a straight one it is like comparing the Mona Lisa to a stick figure.

fla3006, I don't know if they would give a discount. When Rolf offered he deal before I still couldnt afford it. They are incredible though. There is another and the brand escapes me at present that were at last years show. They were on Pete Grissels table. I will get back to you. They were well under $1000. I was very impressed. If I wasn't fondling them, jack belk was.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Chic: Was it by any chance made by BAM (Brookings Arms Manufacturing), Brookings, Oregon?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I bought one of Ralf Martini's barrels at the ACGG dinner auction this year. It is a beautiful 30 caliber octagon bbl with an integral full length rib. I thought I got a bargain price, until I paid him for a matching barrel in 375 caliber to make a matched set of rifles. He is one of the finest machinists out there and just a terrific guy as well. I've wanted to use some of his work for a long time.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, so that was you. I was in that auction for a while. It seemed to slow down and for a while it looked like I was going to steal it at around $500. You got a bargain and a work of art. That set will look fantastic. Congratulations.

<JBelk>
posted
Chic said----
quote:
There is another and the brand escapes me at present that were at last years show. They were on Pete Grissels table. I will get back to you. They were well under $1000. I was very impressed. If I wasn't fondling them, jack belk was.

That was the Miller action from South Dakota. I think they were $1400 or so. If you like I can post a picture.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk: yes, please post a picture and phone number or address of the maker. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Please post picture and contact info. $1400 sounds reasonable with an unusual action. Is it big enough for the 600 Nitro Express? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, would be interested in seeing an image of these.
YJ

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Sorry folks. I forgot about the offer to show the picture.

-

These are made in South Dakota but I know nothing else about them. Pete Grisel had one on his table in 2002 and this one in 7x57 (I hope my memory is right about that), which was stocked and shown by Dave McClain. Engraving and gold inlay by Ralph Bone.

The Miller is a small and compact action suitable for .473 cartridges and maybe adaptable to belted mags. I have no further information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack for the picture. It is too nice to chamber it with an odd ball caliber. It should be chamber in a big classic Nitro Express cartridge. [Wink]

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen
Very nice actions. Is there any more american made actions.

J Belk, is this action still made? It loock very nice.

Does anyone have the address to Hartmann & Weiss. I have been looking everywere but with little luck.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<JOHAN>
posted
Mingo

I have to agree with you, but even nicer would it be to have one of the double rifles hagn has built on his falling block actions. Yes, it a bit out of topic but who cares [Wink]

I magine that would be a strong double, but it would be quite wide too [Big Grin]

I saw some pictures of his double rifle on falling block design. Hagn had solved it really nice, even the barrels were detachable.

Does anyone know if they offer the ejector on all the action sizes?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

[ 03-02-2003, 21:56: Message edited by: JOHAN ]