THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Uberti 1885 vs. Ruger #1 in .45-70

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti 1885 vs. Ruger #1 in .45-70
 Login/Join

posted
I want a big bore plinker/fun gun/off hand target gun, and want it to make a big boom when I touch it off. I had my mind made up on the #1, but have seen pictures of the Uberti, and it sure is attractive. Which is of a higher build quality, and which has better iron sights from the factory? Any obvious advantages of one over the other? Both seem to be about the same amount of money.

thank you,

paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 and a Uberti 1885 Lo-Wall in .22LR. Neither were what I'd call accurate out of the box. Right now the Ruger is being rebarreled by Nonneman's.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is a rather light rifle. One of my Ruger .45/70s had a constriction at the front sight and swivel bands. I got about 18" groups until I shipped it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel at no charge.
Neither rifle has good factory sights. Trouble that is pretty much the end of the road for the Ruger except for the odd NECG sight.
The Uberti is drilled for a tang sight and has a front dove tail so you can add decent sights to it. For off hand open sight use I would pick the Uberti anyday.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently struggling with the same decision.

How is the fit and finish on the Uberti? Decent wood on it? Made in Italy, right?

Can they be loaded as hot as a Marlin levergun? As hot as the Ruger?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My ruger 45-70 is a one hole rifle at 100 yards, on a bright day and I am feeling calm. It has a 2.5x weaver steel tube on it with a post reticle. The weaver was overhauled in El Paso about 10 years ago. Actually my best group was .414 center to center with winchester factory 300 grain hollow point. I don't use that ammo because at 50 yards the bullet blows up on deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yiminy:
I'm currently struggling with the same decision.

How is the fit and finish on the Uberti? Decent wood on it? Made in Italy, right?

Can they be loaded as hot as a Marlin levergun? As hot as the Ruger?

I think the Uberti can be loaded hot enough to be really uncomfortable. They also sell it chambered for the much higher pressure rounds (compared to the 45-70) like the .30-40 Krag, the .348 Win, and the .405 Win. I have actually handled the .405. They are not light weight rifles and for me would be much more useful with metallic sights. I have never fired a Uberti but I have fired many Rugers. The wood on a Uberti is finished with a fairly dark reddish stain so the wood grain is hard to see. There is no checkering unless you get the upgraded version.
I don't where you live, but get a chance to hand both at the same time before you buy. Other than both being single shots they are very different rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My opinion is NO, the Uberti 1885 Highwall cannot be loaded as hot as the marlin or ruger. Some my say yes, but I wouldn't try it. The Ruger is pretty much as stout as it gets for a falling block action type.

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it? Just plinking, or are you planning on hunting big game with it? Are you a handloader, or are you only buying factory ammo?

Are you looking for a nostalgic or historical piece, or just something to bang around with?

If you want a big boom, try shooting blackpowder cartridges out of it. When I shoot my sharps or 1886, it's blackpowder rounds, and that makes a BIG boom, and usually brings over several curious shooters when I'm at the range...

I usually offer to let them shoot it, if I have ammo left over, but their interest seems to wain when they see the size of the cartridge. Curious, no?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.chuckhawks.com/falling_block_action.htm

quote:
The Browning 1885 High Wall is a modern version of the John Browning designed classic, widely regarded as the strongest and best of the American single shot rifles. John Browning began producing these rifles himself, then sold the rights to Winchester, who made the design famous. It is a very simple yet elegant looking rifle. It has an exposed rebounding hammer that cocks automatically when the "S" shaped underlever is operated. The automatic ejector can be user set to throw the empty case out to the right or left, or extracted for convenient removal by hand. The schnable style forearm and straight hand buttstock are select walnut with a durable gloss finish, and extensive checkering.

The standard version comes with a heavy 28 inch octagon barrel without sights; it is drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The Traditional Hunter model is similar, but comes with a crescent butt plate and tang mounted peep sight, plus conventional barrel mounted open sights. All metal parts on these High Wall rifles are very well polished and deeply blued, except the breech block, which is polished and left in the white. Standard Model calibers are .22-250 Rem., .270 Win., .30-06 Spfd., 7mm Rem. Mag., and .45-70 Govt. Traditional Hunter calibers are .30-30 Win., .38-55 Win., and .45-70 Govt. These High Wall rifles all weigh between 8 lbs. 12 oz. and 9 lbs., depending on model and caliber. These classy single shot rifles really shoot: my High Wall is one of the most accurate centerfire rifle I have ever owned.

Frank de Haas says that the weak spot in the 1885 is the firing pin, and should be bushed to a smaller hole when modern high pressure rounds are chambered that might have a case failure.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I would classify the Uberti Highwall next to the Browning Highwall. I've handled both, and shot the Browning but not the Uberti.

If I was worried about strength, I'd pick the Browning over the Uberti.

He asked about the Uberti....

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a new Uberti 1885 highwall in 30-30 for a few years.

My intention of converting to 25/35 and loading it hot has not been realized. I have not even shot it in 30-30 yet. But is LOOKS strong enough. I have since learned that Col. Townsend Whelen had the same idea.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled (not fired) a Uberti, & currently own an older, red pad No.1-S in 45-70.

Both are nice rifles. The Highwall has a lot of history, but the Ruger is quite pleasing to handle, - & I doubt if you will find a stouter action.

It can also take overkill loads that will bring tears to your eyes - if you are a glutton for punishment.

My pet load (shown) is fairly accurate, reasonably powerfull, & can be shot a bit w/ out getting beat up.

My vote goes to the No.1, but why not get both?

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Win 1885 action was/is very strong in spite of being made of steel of about the strength of structural steel. That is low grade steel! High wall receivers were reportedly used by Dupont for test guns up into the WWII years. That includes high pressure rounds. The Uberti should be at least as strong, being made of modern alloy.
As for the firing pin issue as written about by DeHass, if you need to overload the .45-70 that much, get a different cartridge. After all, the .45-70 with a 420 gn bullet at black powder velocity will shoot through a bison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Williams Peepsight on my No.1.It makes for a fast brush Rifle.With a 4X Scope it shoots 5 shot groups 1 1/4 " all day.Thats with Remington 300 gr Bullets with 61 grs of N133 & CCI Standard Rifle primers.I dont have my range book handy,but I think its about 2250 MV.The Ruger #1 is very strong.I would be leary of what I fed a 1885 Repro.I saw one in pieces at the range.I don`t know who`s manufacture. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OB
Given reasonable metallurgy the 1885 design is stronger than the Ruger #1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER;

Your concern about the repro 1885s has validity however that DOES depend a great deal on who made the repro. Uberti chambers (or did) their repro for .348 Win. This is not the highest pressure level but if I wanted any higher pressure from a .45 I would buy a .458 Mag. Ballard Rifle Company will chamber one version or another of their 1885 repro for cartridges up to .600 Nitro.
Original Winchester receivers were used for test guns at Dupont for pressure testing the most powerful of ctgs. available up to WWII. This includes, amon others, .30-06, .270 Win, .300 H&H, etc. Those old receivers were made of low strength steel and were not really heat treated. They were case-hardened but tests have shown the case to be only few thousandths deep.
All that said, if I personally wanted the power/pressure levels some of you guys are after from the .45-70 I would buy a .458 or at least a .450 Marlin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ireload2,
how so?

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The right side of the Ruger #1 receiver wall is cut down for loading clearance reducing the amount of steel supporting the breech block. I doubt that it makes much difference since both are way stronger than almost any other action.

Take a look at how much metal is behind the breech block on either on. I think you would blow the barrel threads out before you would blow the breech block out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 Ruger #1's in 45-70. They are NOT polite with heavy loads.

If I wanted a strong big bore I'd get a #1 in 458 Win, 458 Lott, or 416 Rigby. The heavy barrel on these models make them easier to shoot than a hot 45-70.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
The right side of the Ruger #1 receiver wall is cut down for loading clearance reducing the amount of steel supporting the breech block.

On the other hand, the breech of the 1885 is completely unsupported behind that big slot for the hammer.

I'd guess-timate the two actions, made of the same quality steels, are equally strong. I'll also venture the Ruger will do the better job of keeping the gases from a blown case out of your face.

For a big booming, moderate pressure plinker, make your decision on the style you prefer.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the other hand, the breech of the 1885 is completely unsupported behind that big slot for the hammer.

They both have the same big slot that allows them to be loaded. The hammer makes zero difference in that regard.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
They both have the same big slot that allows them to be loaded. The hammer makes zero difference in that regard.

The loading slot is not the point. On the Ruger, the lower part of the breech is supported by the receiver all the way across. Thrust from the bottom half of the cartridge can be delivered into the receiver along this arc (which, because of the hammer, is missing in the 1885). The breech has support in the shape of a J, or, if you cock your head some, a V. The Ruger supports the breech on two opposing sides, upper left corner and lower right corner, plus everything in an arc between.

The 1885 instead offers two parallel lines of support. The breech is unsupported, from top to bottom, at least the width of the hammer. This is likely somewhat stronger, but it definitely provides more avenues for gas to get to your face.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I have owned a new Uberti 1885 highwall in 30-30 for a few years.

My intention of converting to 25/35 and loading it hot has not been realized. I have not even shot it in 30-30 yet. But is LOOKS strong enough. I have since learned that Col. Townsend Whelen had the same idea.

I have a Ruger #1 in 30-30 that I loaded very hot and this year opened it to 30-30 AI which I load to 300 Sav & even a little hotter. I think they are 2 different actions. Either will take a good amount of pressure with the #1 being stronger IMO, as well as safer in the event of a high pressure case failure. Still, I'd like to do some playing with the 85 action just for fun.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote