New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering which caliber would be the best for rechambering to .260 Remington? I would like to stay with a factory "B" model barrel if possible but if not what would be the best aftermarket candidate in the 250-350 dollar price range?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
Just wondering which caliber would be the best for rechambering to .260 Remington? I would like to stay with a factory "B" model barrel if possible but if not what would be the best aftermarket candidate in the 250-350 dollar price range?

Lots of luck finding a Ruger #1 of any kind for that price. it's been over 5 or 6 years since I've seen on that cheap. In my neck of the woods, anything in decent shape with nice wood will be $500 or more and usually more.
With that said, finding a donor can be easy. Just pick on anything that has a 30-06 head size and just rebarrel to teh cartridge you want. One word of advice though; don't shoot the donor. Odds are it will be a good shooter and you won't want to convert it. Been there and done that way too many times.
I've been looking for one to build a .35 Whelen, but so far, luck has been against this as the donors shoot too darn good. About thre gun shows ago, I found a #1B in .25-06 and while the stock was a bit bet up (nothing I can't fix" the metal looked good. This one, so far doesn't shoot worth a damn. Nothing I've tried including some tune up tricks I know has made this one a shooter. It gets it's last chance later this week. If it dosn't give some decent groups, off to my gunsmith to be rebarreled to .35 Whelen.
I'll be very honest here. If you can fins a #1 for under $500 snap it up. While rare, deals do show up.
I have 18 working #1s ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby and a 45-70. Number 19 is the 25-06 and you know the story on that one.
Good luck on finding one in the price range you're looking at.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One aggravating thing is that there are no beat up #1s.

It is hard to dicker them down when a similar new rifle is $900, and the used rifle is minty.

$575 is the going rate for just any old #1.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify. I know that a No.1 is gonna run me 6 or better. The 250 to 350 price range I am talking about is for an aftermarket barrel only. Or do I need a new barrel or just have the original one rechambered? Never done this before so its all new to me.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You MIGHT find a decent No. 1 under $600.00, but there are not that many. Most I've seen recently were $600.00 + !

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Cobrajet,

You're right, the base rifle is going to cost you $600+. The problem is that changing the barrel on a #1 is a bit different than a rebarrel on a Mauser/Winchester/Remington bolt gun and you'll need to find a barrel plumber who is up to the task. I don't think Ruger made any #1's in .260/6.5mm to rechamber, so what you're looking at is either a rebore or new barrel, either of which will probably cost more than $400.

How bad is your need/addiction? Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm contemplating rebarreling a Ruger #1B to .35 Whelen for my all round hunting rifle. I'll have to recheck the price for the job as my original inquiry was about a year ago and prices have gone up. The only reason for the delay is finding a suitable donor. Anyway, the quote for the job at that time was $400. I'd guesstimate right around $500 today. Not all that high considering the quality of workmanship. I use the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson, and Joe, the metal man has done several barrel jobs for me and the rifles have all been sub-MOA. They have ads in most of the gun rags if you want to check them out.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote