Find
Notify
Tools

Encore 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Positron
posted
I just bought a 416 Rigby barrel for my encore it has a synthetic thumbhole stock and I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. My question is however how will feel shooting 300 grain bullets at 2970fps. out of it?

To be great, is to be misunderstood.

Picture of conger
posted Hide Post
Buddy had one and you will definately know when it goes off! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you like sore shoulders and headaches. And be careful you don't detach your retinas by shooting too many rounds at a time. The gun is pretty light for the caliber.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wanted a deathray maybe you should have bought a 338 Lapua. If you won't be talked out trying to make a Swift of your Rigby then try a couple three, take some ibuprofen, sell the 47 unused 300 gr pills on Ebay, and then start working with the 400 @ 2350.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I installed a mercury recoil reducer in a couple of my Encore stocks along with a Simms pad and the difference is noteable. I am not shooting the Rigby, but do shoot a 405 Win, with 300 grain X's @ 2250 and it is quite manageable. Can't wait to try out my new 375 H & H barrel.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add one or two mercury recoil reducers to the stock and a Simms recoil pad. I have a 24" .375 H&H Mag barrel for my Encore and with two 8 oz mercury recoil reducers in the butt stock and the Simms pad, it's easy shooting. I went through 40 rounds of 270 grain at 2650 fps. It's very nice!! I also have a 50 Alaskan that is a blast to shoot!!!

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing:

You could also shoot some reduced loads. I plan on ordering a custom 416 Rigby barrel shortly. I will be shooting some cast bullets for fun and some 75 -80% loads with Hawk bullets for North American game. I found some nice loads in the Accurate Arms Reloading manual. Check it out!

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote