THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    What's your favorite 6.5mm for the Contender?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite 6.5mm for the Contender?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the bug to get a new rifle barrel for my Contender, and a 6.5mm looks fun.

I'd like it to be capable of shots on deer out to 250yds, so the 6.5 TCU is out. Besides, I already have a 7 TCU hadgun barrel. About the only others I can think of are the JDJ and the Bullberry. Are there other's that I'm missing? I've been told that the 6.5x55 Swede can be done in a Contender, but that sounds like a little too much for the frame to handle.

The JDJ looks like it has the velocity edge, but the BB uses readily avaliable 30-30 brass instead of the .225 Win cases. While the cost of the barrels looks like it would be the same from either company, I think that the JDJ's reloading dies would be a lot cheaper.

If folks with one of these calibers, or any other that I missed, could share your experiences I'd appreciate it.

Andrew

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC some folks have made Contender barrels in 6.5 Japanese, but that's still custom work and I'm not sure the brass or dies would be any cheaper than those you've already considered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also read that article over on Specialty Pistols. It seems that the results were less than stellar. Sound like he had erratic pressures and the performance wasn't all that great.

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
6.5 Grendel.....

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you could do the Grendel in a Contender. Any idea who would chamber it?

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
SSK does them and I know there are a couple of others as well. I'm planning on a G2 6.5 Grendel set up. See:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3000

I was just told that these guys are also doing Grendel barrels:

http://www.coyoteguns.com/contender_bbl.htm

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Collegekidandy

Trust me as the owner of a 6.5X50 Japanese Contender barrel, I don't think it is the way to go. Google Rich Jake's article he wrote about it, because like me Rich thought it would be the cats meow in the TC. Encore rifle may also be a different story, but I blame the taper on the cartridge case.

If I were going 6.5 (which is the best bullet diameter in the world) I would go first to 6.5X57, second to 6.5X308, and very VERY last at tenth place to 6.5X55. Oh first would be what Woodrow S said if you include the JDJ in the choices, one can always stumble upon a few hundred pieces of 225 brass!

Course you know what happens when you ask a bunch of crusty gun cranks for opinions . . . . ya get em!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 6.5 JDJ is a scary accurate cartridge. The brass is easy to make out of plentiful 225 win cases and there is plenty of power out to 250 yards for deer size critters. I shoot 120gr ballistic tips and get 1/2" 100yd groups easily. JDJ is not my favorite person but this baby of his shoots. I have one of his custom shop contenders with a 14" tapered full octagon barrel with magna-ports. This caliber is a real winner and I have also spoken with others that say the same thing.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In a Contender, there are 3 choices that would suit your needs: the 6.5 JDJ, 6.5x30-30 AI (aka 6.5 Bullberry Imp) and the 6.5 BRM.

Eabco doesn't currently offer Contender barrels in the BRMs, and no one I am aware of has the reamers. That leaves the JDJ and the 6.5 BB Imp.

I have a 26" Match Grade Machine (www.matchgrademachine.com) in 6.5 BB Imp that is incredibly accurate and does 2500 fps with N160 powder and 140 grain bullets.

I took a nice buck earlier this month at 220 yards with such a load using the Nosler 125 grain Partition and 39 grains N160 for 2603 fps. I got the bullets during a 2nds sale, and they cost less than "standard" bullets; that's why I was using them.

But standard bullets work beautifully in this velocity range. The Sierra 140 grain GameKing generally shoots through anything I put a bullet in to, and that includes some rather large hogs.

THe 6.5 JDJ is terrific as well and you'd probably notice more difference between individual barrels in the same chambering than between the two cartridges.

Keep in mind, though, that the data listed by Bullberry doesn't use any of the slower powders such as N160. In longer barrels, this type of propellant will make the cartridge shine.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: the Swede is not suitable for the Contender.

Also, if you go to the first 2 pages of the single shot pistols forums on accuratereloading, you'll find several posts and photos regarding the 6.5 BB Imp and various 6.5 bullets. Yes, I know it's crazy that I post my info on rifles in the pistol forum, but that forum is my "home," so to speak.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5mm BB Improved that has been my primary deer pistol here in Indiana for the past several years. It is a 15" Barrel. It is the most accurate pistol round I have ever owned. While fireforming the brass and working up a good hunting load, it produced every 5 shot group under 1" @ 100 yards. Most were under 3/4" and some at 1/2". It performs well with 4064 as a hunting load with groups running right at 3/4" for 5 shots @ 100 yards. Velocities through my chronograph run right around 2350 fps with 120 gr Ballistic tip bullets. 85 gr bullets are excellent performers on varmints such as coyotes and groundhogs out to 300 yards. One day I will order a carbine length barrel for my contender or Encore. This rounds utilizes the brass from 30-30 Win while the 6.5JDJ utilizes 225 Winchester brass which is stronger but harder to find than the 30-30 brass. I have shot sever groups with this barrel under 1/2" and my eyes are not as good as they once were. Gun wears a Burris 3-9 scope. Good shooting!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrHenley
posted Hide Post
264 RLB, it's the perfect size for the Contender.

It's a 6.8 SPC necked down to 6.5, then the shoulder blown forward to 40° and the body opened up to .411" at the shoulder.

I've been able to get 2600 fps with 129 grain SSTs in a 24" barrel, but the reamer leade is set up for 120 grain bullets, so anything over 120 grains takes up case capacity. My next one will have more leade so I can seat 125 grain Partitions with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck.

Best accuracy so far has been with 120 grain Ballistic Tips. Using 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 30.5 grains of AA2250, and an R-P case, I took this coyote with one shot (in the ear) at 420 yards:

Judging by the terminal ballistics, I'd say 400 yards is a little too far for the 264 RLB on big deer. I shot another coyote at 285 yards in the shoulder, and based on the terminal ballistics on that one, I'd be very comfortable taking a 300 yard shot on a big deer with it.

Pacific has the reamer specs and Hornady has the die specs.

You can form 6.8 fireforming cases with one pass in a FL die. Just don't quite run it all the way into the die, which will leave a false shoulder for a slight crush fit. You'll have to snap the action shut smartly on the fireforming cases.

R-P brass doesn't need reaming or turning. Hornady brass needs turning, and some Silver State Armory brass needs turning.

My next 264 RLB:

Posts: 26 | Location: Columbus, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 50 Bellm maybe...

http://www.bellmtcs.com/BellmChambers/6%205%20x%2050%20R%20Bellm%20data.htm

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Dr. H, read about your round on another forum awhile back, interesting, looks about as much capacity as a 6.5 Benchrest. Does that round feed ok in a magazine bolt rifle?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Old post but I have an MGM rifle barrel for my GS and it is a super barrel. Accuracy is outstanding (as usual for MGM) took an 8 point this past November @ 182 yds with it, he dropped in his tracks with some kicking. I do love the Grendel, I have,

Howa Mini 1500
Mini Mk X
T/C G2 rifle
4 AR's
all chambered in the 6.5 Grendel.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the 6.5 BB Imp hands down.

Inwoukd love to know where all this “plentiful “ 225 Win brass can be found.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
Inwoukd love to know where all this “plentiful “ 225 Win brass can be found.

Note that the initial posts were 15 years ago. The shooting and reloading world was completely different then. Smiler

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I have nor looked at the drawings/specs, would the 6. BB AI clean up a worthless 6.5X50 chamber?
I hate having it lying around as a paperweight.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote