New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will Martini actions handle rimless cases? Sorry guys, I don't know anything about them but am getting really interested.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Not without a shitload of difficult extractor work. thats why all the original calibres using this action are rimmed. Nothing is impossible , but lots of things are impracticle - rimless cartridges in martini actions is one of them!!!
Now someone will prove me wrong , no doubt.....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Yukon Jack
Yes Martini actions will handle rimless cartridges.
All you need is a rimless extractor.

There is a guy local to me that does a Martini in .222 and makes an extractor to suit.

Sorry Muzza.
Regards
Deafdog

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There ya go - I knew as soon as I said "no" someone would prove me wrong . No-one here will tell me it can be done , or I would have rechambered one of my martini's by now . Oh well , guess I will stick to the .218Bee and .222R cartridges.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. For some reason was thinking that if it could be done, something like a 318 WR would be an interesting round for a Martini. I know there's some 333 Rimmed cartridges, but was considering a 318 for some unexplainable reason. Any thoughts?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's just the (very understandable) lure of the name, Yukon Jack, then good luck. To my knowledge, the .318 WR was never offered in a flanged version, unlike the .333 Jeffery. So, a rimmed version would be just a modern wildcat.

If the good performance record of the .318 WR is one of the reasons that kindle your unfetterable desire ;-), then you might ponder using the 8 x 60 RS and especially the 8 x 65 RS instead, which offer the additional advantage of having many bullet types available (unlike the .318 WR and .333 Jeffery).

Best regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
a long time friend of mine has retired back to your neck of the woods. He is a very accomplished gunsmith of the old school, and has done a lot of fine work on martini action rifles amongst others and has a wealth of knowledge.
If you want his details in Helensville let me know.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Likewise, the 8X75R looks like a real performer, but so does the 9.3X74R necked to .338 (a'la Elmer Keith)!!