THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Ruger #1 - noise on loading/unloading

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 - noise on loading/unloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have allways been taken with the #1 but a really negative for my style of stalking is the noise that the action makes when trying to silently load or unload.

Is it possible to adjust it to silence the metallic clicks? I have heard that it is but that one loses the ejection

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894:

It would seem that the noise you hear is the ejector spring going "over center", loaded for ejection. This can be elimintated by removing the ejector spring, but this will indeed disable the ejection. It will still extract.

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine almost always makes noise when i unload it - it goes boom Big Grin BOOM clap(sorry its getting late on firday(

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
If you have a rimless chambering, there might be some noise associated with moving the extractor right and left as well. Try hst's suggestion, and you'll soon know. If the lateral motion of the extractor creates too much noise, there is always rimmed chamberings, such as the new 9.3x74R.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there some requirement that you hunt with an empty chamber? I stalk for most all of my hunting and if I am using a cartridge gun it is at times a No.1. The only noise concern I have found could be traced to the safety and that is fairly easy to muffle.
Loading and unloading for me takes place before and after the hunt. Did I miss something?

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker,

Most guides and PH's do not allow you to carry your gun with a round in the chamber until it is time to set-up and shoot the game animal. This rule has never had a negative effect on my hunting and its there for obvious reasons....not all hunters have good gun handling habits and the only way to prevent a mishap is to have the chamber empty until its time to make the shot.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Woodrow,

Open your No 1’s action before the stock. It’ll be ready to go and your PH will be happy.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I have allways been taken with the #1 but a really negative for my style of stalking is the noise that the action makes when trying to silently load or unload.

Is it possible to adjust it to silence the metallic clicks? I have heard that it is but that one loses the ejection

When I adjust the tension in the ejector spring to a lower level, the sound level is also lowered. I detest allowing the casing to checker the nose of the comb because it is too forcefull.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanker:
Is there some requirement that you hunt with an empty chamber?

Loading and unloading for me takes place before and after the hunt. Did I miss something?

Climbing into and out of a high seat (stand)with my son - deer are quite often say 40yards aways bedded in cover.