New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore age poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are your ages based on the likes/dislikes of the Encore grip/shoulder comfort? Are you older/younger?

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
This 47 year old has no problem with the "comfort" of Encore stocks. He just thinks the angles are as ugly as a bucket of guts.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be something about 47 yr olds. I too am 47 and don't know nor care about their comfort. Anything that ugly will never ever get raised to my shoulder....

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
51 years young!
They are ugly, no doubt, but really easy to fix a length of pull problem on, and with the addiditon of the Navcom pad on the double ugly composite stock, my 7mm Rem. Mag. shoots a ragged one hole group with 140 gr. TSX, and as Grand Ma used to say, Pretty is as Pretty does!

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
57. Encores are ugly, should not be accurate but are very. I like the feel of the Encore rifle stock but not its looks. I prefer the TCR over the Encore. I'd buy a new TCR if they are ever produced again. I'm selling my last Encore.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I'm 49 and won't have another encore unless they can be made less ugly....fwiw, I sold mine when I was 47! sofa

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
56 and change....always wanted one, so I ended up buying 5 and now I'm up to 11 barrels...can't help myself....they are butt ugly, but shoot really well.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I am 30 and like the look and feel...but would never have a bolt action stocked that way.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Oopps, 31; forgot what year it is.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am 44 years old, I think the Encore is a very good looking stock and overall gun. I love the way it feels. I have 4 of them, all with different color stocks. I have a black synthetic stock and forearm on a 45 cal muzzleloader, a adventure camo synthetic stock and forearm on my 50 cal muzzleloader, a laminated thumb hole stock and forearm on my 22-250 and a walnut stock and forearm on my 416 Rigby.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 45 and the encore fits me well i.e. the gun is butt ugly and so am I. clap

Posts: 43 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm 56+ and I like the looks and feel of the Encore!

I've always said the Contender and Encore are unique! One of my Grandsons asked me if unique means un-cute?

But I do think I'd like to try one of the thumb-hole stocks one day!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I did a Boyd's laminated thumb hole and forearm for an Encore. I bought the inlet, but not finished grade and it turned out pretty well. There is a LOT of extra wood on the stock so you can craft it into whatever you want it to look like. The laminated stock is heavier than walnut and was a little over $100. I put it on the action I use for my .204, 22-250 and .223 so I like the extra weight t go with the 26" bull barrel.

It takes a lot of sanding, but it turned out pretty well....biggest problem I had was sanding down the pistol grip and thumb hole. There are other unfinished stocks out there too. Give it a try.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
44 started purchasing Encores at 35. I count my rifles as tools. I want a tool that is reliable and functions smoothly. I started with the purchase of the black powder version. I was just handling all the smoke-poles at the Trading Post, I picked up a stainless synthetic version and it fits.
If I wanted a pretty gun I could buy a Weatherby and look at myself in the glossy shine as I walked through the woods.
Every place I go with the Encore I get looks, until they try it. Most have to have one after Smiler

Multiple Barrels
Same Trigger
Same Feel
Same Results

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
39 and like some women I have known, it's butt ugly but feels pretty good.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
Half a century and the factory stock geometry is all wrong for me and iron sights. Went with a Bullberry stock set and is much better. Looks good too.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
65 this Nov. I load and shoot a dozen rifles of various makes and calibers. The Encore is by far the best fitting, scope sighted long gun for my 6'2" frame and 37" arms.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will be 58, July 4. have one , does a good job on game.

Posts: 4 | Location: kansas | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by small fish:
What are your ages based on the likes/dislikes of the Encore grip/shoulder comfort? Are you older/younger?

I am old, and think the Encore is a sow's ear! As is the Contender!! Now the TCR was very handsome, and had a DST to boot. So they discontinued that gun??? bawling

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
46 years young. Been playin with the Encore for about 10 years now and lovin every minute.
My middle son just graduated high school and I got him a TC Katahdin Carbine in 209X50. Now he has ordered a 19inch 308win.barrel with matt finish from Fox Ridge. Looks like another barrel collector is born! LOL clap

The tree huggers are out there. They can't be reasoned with, they can't be bargained with... they don't feel pity or remorse or fear...and they absolutely will not stop. Ever.

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjshell:
I'm 45 and the encore fits me well i.e. the gun is butt ugly and so am I. clap

Me to so I want a rifle better looking than me Big Grin so I don't get noticed. On the other hand a rifle that ugly might make me look better by comparison. clap
But at 57, who cares.
beer
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
47 now, 48 at Christmas time. I've had mine since Spring 2003. It's a .223 in 26" stainless with black plastic stocks. It shoots really well, even with my wild-ass handloads. I just wish somebody made a lefthand thumbhole stock for it.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres my Encore .264 Win Mag. Made the stock from a walnut I cut on the farm. 48 yrs. and I love the balance and feel of the rifle. 26" barrel but it's still 4" shorter than a 24" bolt gun.

Posts: 26 | Location: Ky | Registered: 23 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of doc-and
posted Hide Post
60 yrs old, and I think T/C's designers should be shot mgun!!! I currently have 4 Encores, 2 as pistols and 2 as rifles. One rifle curretly wears the black synthtic stock (how do you say BUTT UGLY) and the 2nd one wears a EABCO pepper laminate stock. Gots to put the plastic stock up for sale and gets the Nutmeg laminate for the blue Encore. I LOVE SINGLE SHOTS!

docand Cool

Posts: 87 | Location: Florida | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome stock set you have there Rick243! Really nice figure in that walnut. Did you make it yourself?

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick243 Great stock work ! I have 2 barrels for my encore 280 rem and .50 Love the feel of rifle as I'm handy capped right arm , It's not a show piece buy deadly accurate .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by small fish:
Awesome stock set you have there Rick243! Really nice figure in that walnut. Did you make it yourself?

Yes, Been working on it since back in the spring. The best part is I finally got the finicky thing to shoot! Found a load for the 120 gr. NBT that stays in 1/2" this past weekend. Going to try the 140 gr. bullets next. I plan on getting back in to the stock work after Xmas. Have several nice pieces of walnut like this and some maple burl. Thought I might try to put one on E-bay and see what happens. Rick

Posts: 26 | Location: Ky | Registered: 23 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 59, like the Encore stock just fine, the pull is perfect for me.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
63 years young and will quit huntin when they throw dirt in my face! As far as the encore goes they normally need some work to make em shoot moa but I think they are cool lookin and easy to pack. Hand loadin is a must for accuracy. I have a ML, 25-06 ,.308 and a turkey barrel. In that light of a gun the shot gun will take your shoulder off with 3 inchers .Had 7mm mag that wouldn't shoot sent it to the factory and got the 25-06 but thats ok couldn't stand the recoil of the thing anyway my .300 wm sendero kicks less . Killed my biggest whitetale with the 25-06 at the tremendous range 30 yds .120 grain serria hpbt. He went 6yds. The ml is cabable of 3 inch groups @ 200 yd when I can manage to do my part, [lot of sand bags]Recoil on the ml is considerable about 130 gr of 3f t7 is my max tolerence

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
51 and have grown fond of the Encore's looks. Particularly with the Boyds laminated stocks. Four stainless frames, all with Bellm's springs, oversize pins and smoothed triggers. It has almost become an addiction. 204R, 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06, 30-06, 300 H&H, 338WM, 375 H&H, 405W & 50 ML. The sting is buying mounts and scopes for each one.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
67 years old. Have two Encores and two Contender frames. Two many barrels to mention. Like someone else mentioned pretty is as pretty does and these rifles get the job done. Simply match the barrel/caliber to the job at hand....

Posts: 48 | Location: Henderson, Nv. | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys I happen to like Encores as I have 3 receivers: two rifle barrels and 2 handgun barrels and I'm 72.I have a Bullberry Forend for their SW 460 20" rifle barrel & a TC Flex Tech Rifle Stock,a Virgin Valley Guns Rifle Stock and Forend mounted to my TC Encore 24" 243 rifle barrel plus 2 15" Encore handgun barrels in 30-06 & 454 casull both have muzzle brakes.

One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
59. I like the way the gun feels. It is light and an easy carry. I had to work on mine to get it to shoot. Cleaning up the trigger made the largest improvement. Now my .25-06 handloads will shoot in this gun. I put well under an 1" at 200 yds, then started thinking and put the next two "just outside" for a 1 1/2", 5 shot group. As to the looks, the critters do not mind.

Lee

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just turned 23. I have had 4 handgun bbl's. a 12" .223, 10" 44 rem mag, 15" .270, and my wrist cannon, the 15" .444 marlin. I have recently purchased a 28" heavy rifle bbl in .223. I bought a synthetic forend and synthetic thumbhole stock. I really love the feel of the rifle and it looks good too. I haven't got to shoot it a bunch yet, but i'm planning on a p-dog shoot sometime soon.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm 46 and I love the encore. Being left handed, this system makes shooting easy. Mine wears a OTT Bull barrel in .220 SWIFT.

Richard.

posted Hide Post
I am 36 and have had a contender for about 5 years. Love the versitility of the stock barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 43 and have an Encore with the .50 cal ML barrel that I really like. I also have a 12ga. 20 inch Katahdin Turkey barrel. The recoil is stout to say the least with 3" Turkey loads but I don't shoot many rounds through it.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm 37. Just bought my first encore frame a week ago. I still haven't bought a barrel but will soon enough. I cant wait!!

Picture of bythebook
posted Hide Post
61 and have an Oncore and 1-204 Ruger 26inch and 1- 7 mm Rem. 26 inch. I like the Oncore and I plan on getting more barrels and at least 1 more frame. I also load for 2 other Oncores in the family with 4 barrels.

Posts: 8 | Location: bedford Pa. | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

I'm 43 and love my Encore. It's not the most beautiful rifle but it fits me and comes up to my shoulder really well. I like the balance and short overall length. I also love the fact that I can buy barrels in just about any caliber. It's fun to shoot and accurate. When I go to the range, everyone wants to shoot it. It's addictive; so far I have barrels in 308, 338-06, 375 H&H, 405 Win, 50 Alaskan, 500 S&W and 454 Casull.

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote