New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads?
 Login/Join

<DWLshooter>
posted
I have just purchased a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for scopes, as well as what is a good a good load using spitzer bullets.

Any help would be great.
DWL

<eldeguello>
posted
I also have a No. 1 in .45/70. I worked up one handload for it with the Barnes Original 400-grain semispitzer that gives 2270 FPS MV, and recoil in the range of 55 Ft.Lb. I don't know if you'd want to go that far, but this load uses a WW case with 60 grains of RE 7, and the Federal 210 primer. It is very accurate too! But I have read in several places that new lots of RE7 are much faster than it once was, and my loads were developed in the 1980's, so if you want to try such a load, start with minimums shown in new manuals and work up CAREFULLY!!

Another load I use is old Elmer Keith's load of 53 grains of IMR3031 with any 400 or 405 grain bullet for a velocity of 1700 to 1800 FPS. This is a good load for anything within 100 yards!! It is accurate and mild, both in pressure and recoil!!

I also have a good, POWERFUL, cast bullet load using the Lyman .457122HP bullet cast of wheeelweights at a weight of 342 grains. I have been able to get 2364 FPS with this load, using an inverted gascheck over the powder, since it is a plain-base bullet. I harden the bases and driving-band section of these bullets, and leave the nose soft so it will expand rather than disintegrate. The powder charge in this load is also 60 grains of RE 7. This is a good bullet, and can be used with milder powder charges!!

I have used up to 63 grains of RE 7 with the 300 grain Barnes Orig. Semi-spitzer, but have never been able to get my rifle to shoot accurately with any 300 grain load!! There is also a GREAT DIFFERENCE in points of impact @ 100 yards between 300 and 400 grain loads!!

The ONLY scopes I have used on my No. 1 .45/70 that my heavy loads did not completely destroy have been Leupolds, using a 2.5X-8X and a 4x Compact, which is still on it. Both worked O.K. I ruined a couple of Bushnell Scopechiefs, a Redfield, and two steel-tubed Weavers. I HAVE NOT tried any German or Austrian scopes on this rifle. Good luck and have fun!!

[ 03-11-2003, 20:06: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

<DWLshooter>
posted
Thanks for the knowledge filled response. I was wondering, if your loads were developed in the '80s, what is the twist rate on your ruger. I have seen both 1-18 and 1-20 in load manuals. I am not sure what differences that might make, if any.
Also, I have only loaded necked cases for other guns and these did not require criping. Do you need to crip the 45-70, and if so, how does that effect pressure?

Thanks again for the info.
DWL

<eldeguello>
posted
Mine is 1/20". I have never tried any 500 or 500+ grain bullets in mine, so don't know if they'd be stabilized well. But a 1/18' would surely be fast enough for 500's, but possibly a little TOO FAST for 300 grain bullets?? Don't know, though! As I said, I have had no luck with 300-grain bullets in mine. Might try the Noslers though.

I NEVER CRIMP rifle cartridges. I have found that I can keep bullets from moving in a case by using high-density loads (keeps bullets from falling into the case), and by using a smaller-than normal expander ball, so the neck grips tightly. I loaded some test rounds this way for a .450 Alaskan in an M71 Winchester, left one round in the magazine for five shots, and the bullet never moved!! If a bullet was going to move in a tubular mag., loaded this way, this one would have! But, of course, THERE'S NO EXCUSE AT ALL FOR CRIMPING AMMO THAT'S GOING TO BE SHOT IN A SINGLE-SHOT RIFLE!!

[ 03-14-2003, 00:24: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
Mine is 1/20". I have never tried any 500 or 500+ grain bullets in mine, so don't know if they'd be stabilized well. But a 1/18' would surely be fast enough for 500's, but possibly a little TOO FAST for 300 grain bullets?? Don't know, though! As I said, I have had no luck with 300-grain bullets in mine. Might try the Noslers though.

A 20 twist will stabilize a 500 gr bullet in most cases. Been there done that one.

A good load? Winchester LR primers, a case full of Swiss 1.5fg with a smidge of compression, a wax paper wad, 0.06" of SPG lube, a card wad, and a 500 gr flatpoint paper patched bullet of course.

Works every time.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
I don`t have the action strength of the # 1`s in my N.E.F. Handi-Rifle,but do have a few medium strength loads that have been very accurate for me,the first is the 300gr Remington jhp,new or once fired ww cases,cci br-2 primer (I don`t know why,I just had a lot of them from my 308 match rifle)and 56gr of Accurate 2015,my barrel has been fire-lapped & moly treated all bullets are plated also,I seat long ,just shy of touching the lands and do NOT crimp,this one has been a .75-1.25" load,moving up to the Speer 400gr,same cases,primers etc but using Accurate 2495 in a charge of 52gr I`ve averaged right at .75".This is for 5 shot groups.my favorite cast bullet load is a modified lee 405gr fbhp,ww cases,win lg rifle primers,and a small 13gr charge of Red Dot,bullets are moly plated first by tumbling,then lubed with Lyman super moly cast bullet lube,at 50 yds 10 rds will usually on calm days give you a large ragged hole average 1.5-2"at 100 yds go to a different powder.hope my long-winded ass was of some help.oh,I did all of my fire lapping using only JB bore cleaning paste,no other abrasives at all.it took around 45-50 cast bullets with a 50-50 mix of JB and Lee liquid alox.good shooting,even us "cheapies"get the occaisional decent shooter at a low price,just takes a little effort to get it all figured out and going smooth.