THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Small, light action, 357 mag or max size

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small, light action, 357 mag or max size
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
What would be a good action for making a rifle shooting a wildcat based on one of the 357 cases?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might consider a Martini Cadet! I just did one in the 357 MAX and it shoots great or at least the customer says it does. Personally? I`d stick with the357 Mag.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Beat me to it, but the martini cadet is about as good as it gets for the .357 Magnum/Maximum-size rounds.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 256 is on a martini cadet - perfect fit

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I assume Cadet actions are no longer available for $10 and less...so, what are run of the mine center-fire ones fetching these days?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm real happy with my E.A. Brown. The modle 97 would make a great action for your wildcat.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Saw long ago a custom 17/44 mag on a cadet. Sweet little carbine set up.

Wish Ruger would make a smaller action and offer more options i.e. cartridges, etc.

Also, would welcome Browning to re-intro the 1885 in various chamberings.

Passed on a custom #3 ruger in 44, short barrel.

If it had been a 357, max, or 41 mag, I'd bought it in a second.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could use the cadet as suggested or a rolling block, maybe a win low wall. Even a stevens might work depending on th epressures. I rebarrel A marlin 357 in 256 win mag & had a great pig gun till someone talked me out of it.
I've been wanting to wildcat the 357 Max for some time to maybe 6mm. You could just about make a short rimmed 6x47 & use those dies for loading it. I like rimmed cartridges in ss rifles.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to "highjack" the thread but...
(BUTCHLOC) I also re-barreled a Cadet to 256 Win. (26" oct. Green Mtn. barrel 1:14 twst) and am looking for more load info. Have only tried 60 and 75 grain Hornady's. Can you recommend any loads? Great little cartridge BTW.
Cadet actions are available but a little hard to find these days. I bought mine from Jack Milar in Australia for $225 US. It's been a few years but I believe he still has some for sale.

Jon

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to do is, using the 357 case, make a 25 cal, using cast bullets.
With my experience with 30-06. 243, 375 Whelen I'm betting that I can prety close jacketed velocities, for cheap.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote