THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    NEF is there problems with the ejectors?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEF is there problems with the ejectors?
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy a NEF youth model in 7mm-08 for my son's 1st hunting rifle. I have heard there can be problems with the ejector. Can anyone varify this or any other potential issues. I am considewring this gun with a 1.5 x 4 32mm scope. What do you think for a starter gun for an 11 year old kid?

Thanks
George K

Posts: 20 | Location: MOnroeville PA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you buy a new one made 2006 or later, it's gonna have an extractor, they don't offer ejectors any more on centerfire rifles. Ejectors can be made to work well with a little tuning, read the FAQs in the GBO NEF/H&R Centerfire forum.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/board,126.0.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the NEF's and think it's a swell idea. I have two of them, I didn't know that about (extractor vs ejector) as I bought them in October 2005. But they are so stone axe simple I wouldn't see that as a major obstacle.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased 2 as Xmas presents. The 243 will kick shells out great. The 270, we were disappointed with on that, as it only kicked them back far enough to pull them out with fingers. Turned out that it was OK on the second box of bullets, 3rd box not OK again. We switched from Core-Locs to Win Power Points and so far so good. Don't know why this gun is touchy, but it stands to reason that the 243 being perfect it won't be a design flaw so much as some minor quality control issue. We've not had it to a gunsmith, because the owner does not think it's that big a deal.

Posts: 15867 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget...
Is the new extractor "mechanical" (operated by direct leverage or camming) or is it still a spring? I modified my H&R 30-30 to not eject but the spring still will not remove the case unless it's new factory ammo or has been full length resized.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Extractors are mechanical, no springs, the first generation extractors that first came out in 2004 had problems, the 2nd gen is very reliable and simple in comparison. You can see pics and details of the different underlugs in the FAQ at GBO.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.msg525466.html#msg525466

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the info/link. Looks like I'll be ordering a new barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple new offerings this year are the re-release of the 22".444 Marlin w/1:20" twist and the 20".45 Colt Carbine, just in case you're interested.