THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Finally Got My New Encore Together

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Got My New Encore Together
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been putting together an Encore in 19 Calhoon for next ground hog season. My barrel came in the mail today. I put my 30-06 barrel on the frame the other day, but the 19 is going to look exactly the same. So below are some pictuers of the rifle I put together. I am pretty happy with it. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
VERY nice!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood.Is it Luxus????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun Tom. Just curious why did you pick the 19 calhoon?

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luxus, yes.

I was looking for a good lightweight barn yard groundhog rig. For shots out to 200 yards. The 19 Calhoon is very fast, so out to 200 it is on a rope. A 22 hornet will not do that.

And the 19 is a relatively quiet round. I did not want to disturb any livestock around the barn lot. I hunt on some horse farms. And the owners definitely want the ground hogs killed(especially around the barns), but they do not want to excite the horses.

I was going to go with the 17AH, but all the reading I did on that cartrdige shows that it is difficult to form cases without case forming dies that are ridiculiously priced.

Plus I like a rimmed cartridge for Encore's. And I can easily form the 19 from 22 Hornet brass with one stroke and a standard sizing die. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle but does your wife know you laid that oily thing on one of her quilts? Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mother makes those quilts. So she knows better than to say anything. My mom says if we do not use them then she will not give us anymore. And my mom makes some real dandy quilts. She makes the cancer center quilt every year for WVU Hospitals. And you would not believe how much they earn on the raffle of those quilts every year. And she has a few hanging in the hospital main lobbies. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HEAD0001:
My mother makes those quilts. So she knows better than to say anything. My mom says if we do not use them then she will not give us anymore. And my mom makes some real dandy quilts. She makes the cancer center quilt every year for WVU Hospitals. And you would not believe how much they earn on the raffle of those quilts every year. And she has a few hanging in the hospital main lobbies. Tom.

What a wonderful woman your mom is. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!
Can you post some pics of loaded rounds and a range report when you get a chance.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammohouse:
VERY NICE!
Can you post some pics of loaded rounds and a range report when you get a chance.

The cartridge looks exactly the same as a 22 Hornet. Just a little faster than the Hornet, but not quit as fast as the 17 AH, but a whole lot easier on the brass, and you do not need special forming dies. I am sure hoping it will be a shooter. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammohouse:
VERY NICE!

FYI