THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    .45-70 long range target/hunting loads

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 long range target/hunting loads
 Login/Join

<clauda>
posted
I am looking for loads and comments on .45-70
500+ cast loads or jacketed loads (300-350-400 grs) for long range (for caliber) applications.
Thinking more about smokeless rather than black powder or subs.
I will use Browning 1885 w/ vernier or Leupold MKIV to get some elevation.
tks,claude.

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Clauda, I shoot the Marlin 1895 Cowboy gun, 26" bbl. The bullet I shoot is a 510grn straight sided, swaged bullet, from Montana Precision Swaging, it is a Paper Patched bullet. I use Reloader 7, 33 grains, this gives a muzzel velocity of around 1450 fps, and is quite accurate. Gene

<eldeguello>
posted
I use the Barnes 400-grain Original semi-spitzer, BC .389, at a muzzle velocity of 2270 FPS using a heavy charge of RE 7 powder from my Ruger No. 1 for a long-range load. This load shoots into about 1 MOA at all ranges I have tried it at, and shoots flatter than the .30/30 Win. 170 grain load, although it certainly has range limitations compared to modern cartridges!! It also generates around 54 Ft. Lb. of recoil!! [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Claude,

you say:

I am looking for loads and comments on .45-70
500+ cast loads or jacketed loads (300-350-400 grs) for long range (for caliber) applications.

me:

I have been shooting the 45/70 for some time with cast bullets in the Long Range Buffalo Rifle matches held here in the Montana/Wyoming area.

The 45/70 will perform very well in long range shooting when fed the typical 500 grain or heavier bullets in their various forms and designs.

Lots of men shoot 27 grains 5744 under bullets weighing from 500 on up to 540 grains with good accuracy. These loads are usually filled with 1/4 sheet T/P and use a 0.050 card wad under the bullet.

I use 21 grains SR4759 1/4 sheet T/P and the upside-down gas check under the plain based bullets. This level of 4759 provides excellent accuracy for bullets ranging from 405 right on up to my heaviest 572 grain "Gunn Long Range".

A fellow needs to consider the rifling twist in the 45/70 before accuracy can be expected from bullets in excess of 500 grains. My Ballard is barreled with a 16 inch twist which provides enough spin to stabilize the heaviest of bullets.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the strong modern action you are using look up the marlin 40000 psi loads from Hornady. I know of a gentleman who long throated his Browning and loads 90 yes 90 gr of black powder in his 45-70 case . If you are going to do long range as in 800 + yards use the 500+ gr bullets . The benefits of using a ss rifle is the use of pointed bullets . Lyman makes a 500 gr schmitser . the 27 gr of 5744 is a fun plinking load bur there are better powders for a modern rifle . start with powders of 4895 Rl 7 range and have fun. a case full of 4350 is fun and usually accurate .

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCHAPURA,

The 27 grains 5744 is not such a "plinking" load at all, but ment for and used for Match loads in compitition.

The 40,000 psi loads will shoot faster of course but are of little use since greater velocity only begets greater wind drift when shooting in a long range match.

In actual shooting the better higher velocity loads will shoot as well as a well designed load of 1250 ft/sec, including performance in the wind at somewhat reduced distances like 4 to 600 yards. However "shoulder mirrage" is a factor whenever you begin shooting 540 grain bullets in excess of 15 - 1600 ft/sec! Consideration of these factors will result in the slower load being chosen as the better load across the board. Thus, the plinker becomes a winner!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote