Find
Notify
Tools

New #1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Took dilivery of a new Ruger #1 chambered for the 338 Win Mag. Waiting for dies to work up some loads. After reading many articles on accuracy improvement, I free floated the barrel. Next step will be the trigger. Not sure if I will just replace it or have the factory unit cleaned up. After reading responses from the forum, not sure what to do, you guys gave me a headache [Big Grin]

Mounted a Leupold VX2 3X9, installed a BreakO, added a spacer and Decelerator for fit.

Leopard in '04

Jim

[ 03-04-2003, 22:50: Message edited by: JBoutfishn ]

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Boltgun>
posted
What is a "Break-O"?

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Boltgun, a BreakO is a mercury tube recoil reducer. The 338 does not really need one, but my Eye Vet suggested reducing recoil might be a good Idea. I have one in my 416 and 470, they do help.

Jim

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You free-floated the barrel BEFORE you found out how the thing would shoot? This is one rifle (the No. 1) on which I would not say you made a BIG mistake, but the first No.1 I owned (a 7 Mag.) put the first five rounds I ever fired through it, right out of the box, (after mounting a Leuplod 2X-7X on it), into 1" @ 200 yards. It still does, and I've NEVER fooled with the barrel or forend!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a gunsmith work the trigger of my #1 and now it breaks at about 3 1/2 pounds. The way he put it to me was "lets try it this way first and see how it works. We can always replace the trigger if we have to". Made sense to me and was cheaper than a replacement.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Hold'em, did your trigger have much "creep"? Mine does, needs help.

Eldeguello, the reason for the free float is to avoid change in zero caused by moisture change in the wood with the seasons.

Jim

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Got the new #1 to the range today, and I am really pleased [Razz] . My first three shots touched each other [Eek!] . Can't wait to round up the $$ for a trigger.

The loads were light, (65 gr. Rel 19, 225 gr. Hornady, 2460 FPS average) I hope the accuracy continues when I heat up the loads to 2750 FPS.

Jim

[ 03-20-2003, 06:11: Message edited by: JBoutfishn ]