Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Uberti 1885 High Walls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
A couple of the guys that I shoot BPCR Silhouette with use the Uberti high-walls, and the rifles seem to be well made for the price. Dave at Buffalo Arms also said that his customers are having good luck with them. The only negative that I have heard is that the triggers tend to be heavy, and need work to be decent for match shooting. Apparently the trigger work is not super difficult.

I have been looking at their .38-55 as a starter silhouette rifle for my daughter.

Dave

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best value in highwalls are the originals - of which there are many if you shop around. That's my prefered route.

Next best, though probably actually a better rifle than any highwall made out there is the new highwall made by Ballard Rifles in Cody Wyoming. They are parts-interchangable with the originals. Also in that category are Meacham's highwalls. Both are pricey however.

Next on the list is the C. Sharps Arms highwall being made in Big Timber MT, along with their 74 and 75 Sharps. I don't see many of them but they are supposed to be good rifles.

Last on the list is the Uberti. Ihave handled one and it looked okay. Some folks shooting them seem to like them, but I don't think they are close to the quality of those made by Ballard, Meacham or C. Sharps. Nor do I suspect they will be quite as nice or as good a value as an original, but they may be the cheapest.

If you can hunt up a screwed up, varmintized highwall, you can rebarrel it fairly cheaply and even restock if you need to. It will never by highly valuable, but it will hold it's value well and you should not loose in the process.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
Can anyone please tell me about the quality of Uberti's High Walls.I have always wanted one.

Are there any other good quality and good value High Walls available.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of different "highwalls" and even the origionals changed a lot during their production run. They went from flat to coil springs, fireing pin mods, and more.
I remember reading a review of the Uberti high wall by Mike Venterino and while he did'nt really badmouth it there were some internal features he did not like. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's been a couple years since I read the review.
Personally I would get the C. Sharps highwall. It's the least expensive (about $1400, standard model) of the good, US made repro's and in the long run you won't regret buying American quality. Also, the resale value will always be good.

Jon