Find
Notify
Tools

NEF buttstock surprise...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted
OK gang, I felt something loose in the buttstock of my .280 handi-rifle last night so I took it apart to investigate. After taking the recoil pad off I found two pieces of foam and a 8.5"x.5" metal bar with a plastic cap on one end. Under the plastic cap was a spare washer. The only thing I could come up with is that this is some sort of counter weight...but I reassembled without it and prefer the balance now.
Anybody else done this?
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
I've got 2 HandiRifles and nothing was found inside the stocks???? Maybe someone at the factory was hung-over!! [Eek!] [Confused]

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Counter weights or maybe for less recoil i had one in my 10 gauge that weighted 1 1/2 pounds my buddy had one in his 20 gauge just over a pound, I took mine out years ago , prefer the lighter weight to carry around all day. I never checked my 223 as i thought it was for less felt recoil.But i will check it out as it has a 24" heavy barrel and maybe its there as a counter weight. Later Dave

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<bolden>
posted
It's there to add more weight to help reduce felt recoil. The Handi's a light rifle, and for years folks shooting the heavier reoiling calibers/guages have been filling that buttstock hole with lead or shot or iron bars. NEF(since Marlin took over) has recently started adding those bars to raise the rifle weight. They're there to keep or take out as you choose. Same thing with the new scope bases that incorporate a set screw to do away with Scope whip. Minor improvements(or not). Somebody out there's listening. Sometimes.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
My NEFhad one in it and i have it for well over 10 years.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote