New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 to .307 win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone ever do a conversion 30-30 to .307 win?
I have a handi-rifle that is a good subject. I have a .308win chamber reamer, anything else I need to know? sure beats the ackley improved and retains the same rim. If there is something I have overlooked please coment--otherwise I'm makeing chips. bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to use a headspace gauge. I've been thinking of doing a .30-40 conversion.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
If you wait a little while, the 308 Marlin ammo will be available.

I think that would be a much better choice, if a 30-30 isn't good enough.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you wait a little while, the 308 Marlin ammo will be available.
Assuming Bill's 30/30 Handi-Rifle is built on the high-pressure frame he can use 308 Winchester ammo in single shot 307 chamber...plenty of that on the shelves today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know anything about winchester 307 or marlin 308..... are they rimmed shells ?

a Hollands Super 30 would probably out perform these others and give you a real rifle caliber.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I am going with the .307 is that the .307 is a semi-rimmed .308 win. rim is the same as 30-30 with the body of 308win. thus no need to modify the extractor or alter the rim part of the existing chamber, just cut new chamber with .308 reamer to proper depth. I have both 30-40 and .308 reamers, but I think the .307 may be the least hassle to do. Thanks for all the imput, Bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
From what I understand the 308 brass will extract amd eject just as reliably as the 307. Same goes for the 358 and 356. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Are you interested in helping me with a 30-40 rechamber?

"We have met the enemy, and they are us." - Pogo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jimmy Mac, sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I am about to have some major surgery ahead so I will contact you after the ordeal is over and I am hopefully getter better.
Yes I have a 30-40 reamer and can do the job, but just not now. Hope to contact you soon, bill439

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill439:
anyone ever do a conversion 30-30 to .307 win?
I have a handi-rifle that is a good subject. I have a .308win chamber reamer, anything else I need to know? sure beats the ackley improved and retains the same rim. If there is something I have overlooked please coment--otherwise I'm makeing chips. bill439

I like the 30/30 AI much better than the 30/40 and have built a few rifles on it & re-chambered a bunch. It's a super eficient caliber that is very surprising.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote