New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Barrel Damper on #1.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last spring I bought a used 25-06 at a very good price. The fore arm was botched up in several places. Someone had tried to re-inlet the forearm to the action. Made a mess of the hanger bedding and drilled a hole for a barrel tension adjusting screw in the hanger tip. Anyway I bedded the forearm against the action with Brownell Steel Bed after centering the stock. And bedded the hanger so the forarm would free float.

The hole in the hanger was ment for 6-42 screw but tap fell right in. The hole was not in a good position for 8-32 screw. So I fitted a small hard wood block beween the hanger and the barrel .060" bigger than the gap. I made another one .030" biger than the gap.

Tested the rifle with both blocks and the groups shrank from 2" to a 1/2" and less with the smaller block. That is the way I left it sofar.
The little wood block is epoxyed to the hanger but not the barrel works great. I actually shot one 3 shot group with Fowler match bullets that measured 5/16 at 100 meters.

.030" seems to be the right tension on the barrel but it shot also well enough with the .060 block. I need to do some more load testing yet with a few more bullets.

That forearm was a lot of work but well worth it.
Fred M.

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote