THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Are all contender barrels interchangeable?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all contender barrels interchangeable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, single shot rookie here. I do have a T/C Encore with a muzzleloader and a couple rifle barrels, but I don't yet own a Contender.

That said, I just bought an older used T/C Custom Shop Fox Ridge heavy barrel for a Contender. I am curious if all Contender barrels are interchangeable from G1 to G2 actions, or if not, how to identify the differences???

Trying to determine what action I need or what options I have before I make a purchase?

Thank you.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in theory all generations of contender barrels are interchangeable. However, you will sometimes find one with manufacturing tolerances that just don't seem to fit a particular frame. Another difference is that earlier barrels had a solid lug and newer ones have a split lug. Sometimes it helps to switch the lugs. In rare cases, it may take a bit of polishing on the bottom side of the lug. Random barrel and frame combinations usually fit well enough. I have had some that were very tight and some that were looser fit but I have never had one that could not be fitted to one of my frames.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are used to the Encore, you may prefer the G2 frame as it will be almost identical to the function of the Encore.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
If my faulty memory serves, there was a subset of stainless "Armaloy" barrels for the Contender that would only fit Armaloy frames.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. I am leaning towards a G1 with the flat side puma on it, just for something different. I like the shape of the old G1 style buttstock and forend too.

The barrel I have on the way is a used T/C Custom Shop 22" bull barrel 25-20WCF, one of my favorite little cartridges.

Can somebody tell me what forend I need for a bull barrel? I see that Choate makes buttstocks and forends, I just dont know which one to get...

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The G2 rifle forend is molded to fit the bull barrel profile and the screw spacing should be the same. If you have a forend for tapered rifle barrels, you can sand it out to fit the bull barrel using sandpaper wrapped around socket or something of the right diameter.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The contender muzzleloader barrels have a peg on the bottom that only works with G2 Frames. Unless you grind off the peg...

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
If my faulty memory serves, there was a subset of stainless "Armaloy" barrels for the Contender that would only fit Armaloy frames.

That's correct the factory Armoloy barrels and frame took a smaller diameter hinge pin, easy to open both up to accept a blue hinge pin, as I have done on my armoloy frame and barrel.